'39 Buick Temperature Sensor Problem

jvelde

I have a '39 Buick coupe - while it was in the body shop recently the temperature gauge ceased working. I assume the sensor bulb has broken or the tube has been damaged. Two questions: #1: is there an easy way to install a temporary modern gauge while I get the old one repaired or replaced, and #2: does anyone have experience with finding a replacement or someone to repair this type of sensor?

Hate to be driving with no indication of the engine temp, and assume repair will involve having the gauge and sensor unit out of the car for awhile.

Thanks, John

Guest De Soto Frank

There are modern mechanical ( Bourdon tube ) temp gauges still made; they usually come with a variety of adapter bushings to fit the sensor bulb to the particular tapping in the cylinder head.

NOS gauges do turn-up on e-bay; there are also folks who repair gauges...

I'm with you - I 'd want a temp gauge of some sort.

Thanks Frank, I was on ebay checking earlier and don't see anything there right now. Checked Hemmings and found a couple of places that repair gauges. I will check NAPA, AutoZone and O'Reillys to see what they have for temporary solution.

John V.

Harold, Thanks for the input, I think I have seen that (or similar) article about placing the glass sensor containing ether in an ice bath while you repair/reattach the tube to the gauge. Think I will take out the old one and see what it looks like is wrong and put a temporary gauge in place until I have decided what to do next.

John V.

Guest De Soto Frank

The D-I-Y repair method is to get a new, inexpensive mechanical gauge, and cannibalize the bulb and tube from it.

You prep your original dash unit first, then pack the bulb of the new gauge in a container of dry ice or ice-water and salt mix,let it cool for a few minutes, then quickly un-solder the new gauge and re-attach the capillary tube to the old gauge head.

I don't know if it is possible to "re-charge" an original bulb and tube if it has lost its gas... ( although they have to get filled somehow at the factory... ).

I believe I saw an article on this in Cars & Parts sometime within the last 10-15 years...

Thanks Frank, I purchased a temporary gauge at NAPA yesterday and will drain the radiator sometime tomorrow after I take the '39 to a morning classic car show. The temperature was only 105 here today and they predict a mere 101 tomorrow, so should be just right for doing some work out on the driveway - ouch!

John

ply33, thanks for the tutorial. I swear I saw your article recently when I started Googling my options.

You might have. If you Google "temperature gauge repair" my page is the top hit. Seems to be the most popular page on my site, Google shows it being linked to from car sites around the world.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JohnUSAF

I just purchased a totally refurbished temp gauge from Bob's Automobilia and received it in twe days. California to Houston. $137.50 + $50 core charge refundable. I would like to have some pictures of this installation on the engine. Car is 1951 Buick Roadmaster. Bob's can be reached at (805) 434-2963.

p.s. This price is less than a used one on EBay. (also includes 115 page catalog, all Buick).

Johnnie Roberts, Houston, TX

1951 Roadmaster 4-Door Riv Sedan

34,000 Miles, I'm the 4th owner

Edited by JohnUSAF (see edit history)