Engine heat in cabin

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

Hi, Bob. No weird fibrous stuff. Windsheld (thanks again Keiser 31) and cowl vents are open and that does help. Oh well I still enjoy driving around in it. Now that we have been driving it for a while, it seems to run 50 mph without sounding like it is under a great strain. Two years of sitting did my Methuselah no good.

Guest DodgeKCL

The problem with the under dash in-car heaters and that shut off valve is it only stops the 'flow' of hot water. I found that my heater still stayed hot because of convection transfer of the heat along the antifreeze in the hoses and into the heater regardless. I think most of it going along the hose that doesn't have the valve. So if you are having a particularly hot Summer I would physically disconnect the hoses at the engine and plug everything. The hoses going to the heater can be plugged with pieces of wooden dowel. You might want to keep the heater load of antifreeze intact for later recharging of the system. The engine mounted valve will keep the feed line closed, you will just have to plug the return line port at the engine. I found this dropped the cabin heat a lot. There should be a black, pressed, hogs hair or horse hair covering,about 1" thick, on the inside of the firewall. I'm not sure how much heat they keep back but it should be there.

Edited by DodgeKCL
syntax (see edit history)

I used to just disconnect the heater hoses at the heater then use a straight through hose fitting and connect the two together under the hood. When the weather started cooling down, I just reconnected the heater, started the engine, refilled the radiator and was on my way.

Guest MidTNDawg

Thanks. I hate to say I never considered the heat may still be coming from the heater! Duh. I will be driving it tomorrow and will check the heater out.

Guest FOlsen

A sheet of modern aluminum bubble auto insulation between the firewall and the floormat sure helps allot.