Installing a turn signal switch on a '41 Olds

Guest JCC

Hi gents,

I just purchased a great '41 Olds 76 coupe, unrestored yet perfectly sound and mostly working.

It appears like these cars were not originally equipped with turn signal lights (they were optional). This could do in California in the 40s, but it is quite a burden in today's Parisian traffic!

So my question: does anyone know where I could find an adaptable, aftermarket turn signal switch that would preserve the look of my Olds? Are there special tricks for installing this?

As a "rookie" in American classics, I would highly appreciate your help...

JCC

There are lots of aftermarket turn signal switches. Turn signals did not become law until 1951. A lot of cars from the 3Os and 4Os did not come with signals but had them added in the early 5Os.

The kind you want clamps onto the steering column. It has a rubber wheel that turns against the steering wheel, this is the self cancelling mechanism.

New signal switches are available, here is one but it is not self cancelling. The self cancelling model looks similar but has a rubber wheel.

Chevs of the 40s: 985720E ALL - Chevrolet%20SWITCH -TURN SIGNAL (ECONOMY)

You might also search on Ebay if you want an original 194Os model.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

No disrespect to Rusty but the Chev of the 40's switch is pretty much cheap junk. EBay is full of Signal-stat 900's. They are built like a brick **** house, are period correct and are little more than the afore mentioned one. As of a few years ago Signal-stat was still in business and very friendly with support.....................Bob

Well Biggy they can't all be gems. Next time hop in a little sooner and save me from making a fool of myself.

Posted as soon as I could, Rusty. As I said, no disrespect meant. If it's any consolation I know they are junk because I paid $20 to find that out...........Bob

Guest bofusmosby

JCC

I did the same for my 37 Pontiac. I used a couple of small 6 volt lights and attached them to the front bumper. For the rear, the original tail light assembly was large anough to accomidate an extra bulb for the turn signals. This is not a difficult job to do, it just takes some time.

Guest bofusmosby
JCC

I did the same for my 37 Pontiac. I used a couple of small 6 volt lights and attached them to the front bumper. For the rear, the original tail light assembly was large anough to accomidate an extra bulb for the turn signals. This is not a difficult job to do, it just takes some time.

One more thing. I didn't buy the self-cancelling turn signals, and it has turned into being a pain. I would suggest that if you do not get the self cancelling switch assembly, then go down to Radio Shack and get one of their small buzzers. You can hide this under your dash, and you won't forget to turn the blinkers off after your turn.:D

One more thing. I didn't buy the self-cancelling turn signals, and it has turned into being a pain. I would suggest that if you do not get the self cancelling switch assembly, then go down to Radio Shack and get one of their small buzzers. You can hide this under your dash, and you won't forget to turn the blinkers off after your turn.:D

I did the same thing. I had a self canceling rubber wheel type in my 49 Chev and no mater what I tried I couldn't get it to stop squeeking with every turn of the wheel..............Bob