1938 Dodge Front Brake Disassembly Problem

Guest rotrod38

Guest rotrod38

Trying to remove the front drums and they won't come off. Have the wheel bearing loosened off and the outer bearing removed. The drum is very hard to turn. My question is how do i back the shoes off from the drum so i can remove the drum? Have never seen the inside of the front drums before if anyone has a picture of the internals it would be appreciated. I am also wondering about getting replacement parts for the brake system. Where can i find the master cylinder and front brake parts? found a master with a 544 part number and its wrong. Master in car mounts with to bolts on the bottom of the cylinder to the frame. thanks for any help.

1938 Dodge Touring Sedan Rot Rod (old rusted hot rod)

There are two large nuts (about 1") on the brake backing plate. Put a wrench on the nut and turn the forward nut clockwise and the aft nut counter clockwise. This will move the shoes away from the drum. Best thing to do with the a master cylinder and wheel cylinder is to get them sleeved in stainless. New ones are hard to find. I this Apple Hydraulics can do it.

Watch out for those reproductions. I ordered some for my 38 Dodge from one of those dealers and the step bore sizes were different from the original. I would think it would effect the way the brakes work. Also, the bleeder valves on two were in a different location than original. I called them; they did not seem to care that it could be a safety concern. I did send back for a refund; of course I was out the postage costs. I can reproduce the correct bores listed in the shop manual if anyone needs them. All four cylinders are different and cannot be switched around.