!955 Star Chief

Guest BretReed

Guest BretReed

The one i have is an original condition unit in fair to good shape ,, It has the In dash airconditioner and i wanted to know where i can look up how many of these units were produced , Thanks

Guest Dick Whittington

I would start with the Pontiac Historical Society (PHS) They have access to most of the records.

I had 55's with A/C years ago when I was in Texas, 2 dr. sedan and 4 door sedan

PHS only goes back to 1961. It seems that I have almost all stats regarding 1955 such as # of cars equipped with A/T, P/S ect. the one thing I don't have is A/C. Charles Coker might have have that information Give him a P/M.

Don

hi bret, in 1955, pontiac ordered from harrison division of general motors, about 50,000 complete factory a/c systems, a big big increase from the first year for pontiac factory a/c, 1954, 7,026 systems ordered, in 1956 pontiac wanted dealers to try and double the 1955 total, they almost did when the a/c orders reached 99,000. thanks don for the plug,lol, charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

hi bret, in 1955, pontiac ordered from harrison division of general motors, about 50,000 complete factory a/c systems, a big big increase from the first year for pontiac factory a/c, 1954, 7,026 systems ordered, in 1956 pontiac wanted dealers to try and double the 1955 total, they almost did when the a/c orders reached 99,000. thanks don for the plug,lol, charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No problem Pontiac A/C expert! I will P/M you later as I'm pouring cement in five minutes!

Don

Charles, that is a huge number, way more than I expected. Do you know what was the number for 1957? Todd C

Guest BretReed

Thanks guys for the info , Wow i had no idea , pontiac even sold that many cars that year much less that many A/C units , well it still looks cool in the dash ,, Wish i could get the original compressor working though ,,

Thanks guys for the info , Wow i had no idea , pontiac even sold that many cars that year much less that many A/C units , well it still looks cool in the dash ,, Wish i could get the original compressor working though ,,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pontiac sold 554,090 cars in 1955 in the U.S.A.

Don