Was looking for a 1928 axle shaft - found 5 NOS ones!

I needed to replace the axle shaft with bad outer threads in the 1928 Commander rear axle I am using for the Indy car replica. I finally found a guy with the correct axle shaft: p/n 150025 for 1928 Commander GB/GH and President FA/FB cars, and the Studebaker Indy cars. They apparently do not fit anything else, and that model axle was only built during part of the 1928 production cycle. He had five NOS shafts on the shelf, so I took all of them. After more than 80 years on the shelf, they have a fine patina of rust, something that just a little polishing will take care of in the seal areas. One has some deeper pits in the seal area and may need to be turned about .010" in that area.

I also delivered the differential unit to the shop today to have all of the bearings replaced and the backlash set. Most of the bearings were easy enough to find except for the cones for the outer ends of the axle shafts. These needed 419T cones with a tapered bore. It took some digging but I finally found all of the cones, cups, and seals for the entire axle. With new shafts that will let the outer nuts fit snugly, I'll feel a lot more comfortable when the time comes to drive it at speed.

studebaker_axle_shafts_150025.jpg

Guest maudsley

Congratulations on a great find! When I originally saw the post looking for a 28 shaft, I thought, "good luck finding that" I don't need one for my 28 fa, but I'll make a note in my book that you have 1 or 2! Good luck with the car, and I wish I was closer so I could help.

I'm glad you found NOS. Confidence at top speed is a must.

Maudslay33

Guest maudsley

The guy with the NOS axles didn't have a real good right front fender for a 28fa taking up space next to them did he? (remote, I know)

Gary, nice job. Will you be in Springfield? It'd be nice to catch up with you again.

Your garage reminds me of that photo from Stude Corp in the early '30's with the three Indy cars in various states of assembly. Too bad you don't have wooden floors! The strategically placed radiator shell and Straight Eight make up for it, though.

Nelson Pease of N. B. Pease in Palmer, Mass had them. He has number of buildings full of NOS parts from the teens through early '60s. No web site or email. Google for his phone number. He also has parts for old pianos and pipe organs.