Cadillac Records

LINC400

Ok, I just saw this movie last night on cable. I am so glad I did not pay to see this film. I always enjoy picking out the 1959 Cadillac in the background of a set in 1957 movie. But this has to be one of the absolute worst.

Missed the first 5 minutes, but they are showing the rear of a 1954-56 convertible, and then say it is 1947. Next Muddy Waters is given a 1948-49 Cadillac as a gift, in 1947. We move on to where they just claim it is 1955, and they show a brochure for 1957, and then show '57 & '58's driving around. Then they state Chuck Berry was jailed at the height of his career. And they show him getting into a 1966 Cadillac on the way out of jail. Next they are showing Elvis going into the army, and Etta James singing "At Last". Both from 1960. Later a kid is admiring a 1956 Eldorado which is supposedly brand new, while Leonard Chess's 1960 convert is parked by it. These were all main cars in the film, not even background vehicles. And what was supposed to be with the 1957 driving around missing all 4 doors? (the 1957 that was supposed to be brand new in 1955?) I realize that film makers might not be knowledgeable about cars, but how can they screw up this badly? Don't they have some kind of fact checkers for these things? Even regular non-car facts seemed to be way off.

By the way, Beyonce is lame compared to the real Etta James singing. No wonder Etta had a fit about the Presidential inauguration.:D

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Movies are made for aesthetic purposes, not historical accuracy. If you think Cadillac Records was bad, go back and watch The Godfather movies parts I & II. There probably isn't one car in the whole series that is correct for the time referenced. Most historically set movies are not strictly accurate in an automotive sense. Exceptions are rare.

They're also made to tell a story, not the truth. The legendary story about Little Walter removing the doors from his car because it was too hot actually took place in 1953, when he was a VERY reckless 23 year-old. The car was a a Lincoln.

Never the less, Cadillac Records was a great movie. I'm very biased, being a HUGE Chess Records fan/collector. However it holds up as a great story, and while not 100% historically accurate in every detail, it is largely a very accurate depictions of the personalities involved.

=========

BTW, Jamesetta Hawkins (Etta James) recorded "At Last" in October, 1960, and it was released as an LP track on 11/15/1960. I'm not sure when the 45 was first released, but it did not appear on the charts until early in 1961.

Hello Linc400, being a car guy and movie buff this is a constant issue for me (and source of eye-rolling from the wife if I say much). I cannot help but notice and usually try to justify the timeline, maybe letting one year slide allowing that maybe it is October or November and next years models had come out early.

Sounds like Cadillac Records took some, ahem, artistic liberty in this area. I recently watched the latest X Men movie (my first of the genre) and it was firmly set during calendar 1962 and had lots of 1963-66 models running around. Probably no problem for the target audience, but I certainly noticed.

To Dave, actually I had little disagreement with the Godfather movies, at least in the featured American cars. In one (possibly deleted) scene on my DVD Clemenza has just purchased an early 1946 model and mentions his irritation that it was shipped with wooden bumpers, so I liked that little tidbit. I think a 1941 Continental is exactly the kind of car Sonny would have driven through the war years. I assume the Alfa Romeo blown up in Italy was a slightly later model, but did not know well enough to have it detract for me. What did you notice? Todd C

Years ago (say 1940's) historical movies were not accurate due to lack of info, or questionable for the time things they did not want known or publicized such as womanizing, homosexuality, drug use, abusive behavior, etc.

Today there is no excuse for that. None of those subjects shock anyone or would keep anyone from seeing the movie. And 5 minutes on the internet can provide info that you would have had to have spent hours searching for in a library, assuming that library had books on your subject.

Using the appropriate era Cadillac for the scene is even simpler. Simply ask the owner what year it is when you buy or rent it. Put a sign somewhere inconspicuous on it if you can't remember this info or have too many to deal with. I can see one car slipping through. But come on, they were inaccurate in just about every scene. And the ones that weren't were probably by accident. This should take practically zero research or effort on their part. I'd have to say this is the worst movie I have ever seen in regards to getting the years correct on the cars.

Five minutes of internet checking after I saw it shows that Chuck Berry was released from prison in 1963, not in 1960. Also they show Leonard Chess has a heart attack and dies 2 blocks after selling and leaving Chess Records in 1969 (in his 1960 Cadillac which he has had since 1955). He dies and the car coasts to a stop. In reality he died 2 months later. He must have been driving REALLY slow. Also Etta James had long dark hair in 1968 when she recorded "I'd Rather Go Blind", not the same blond shorter style she had in the 1950's - early 1960's, that Beyonce had through the whole movie.

Come on this is just lame. I can see X-men or another fictional movie not caring as much about historical accuracy (although that is still annoying), but in a biographic movie, they should exert some effort in getting it right.

I was anxious to see this movie, and it was a huge disappointment. If they can't get simple stuff right, I'm sure there is much more wrong. So why bother even watching it? It was not very well done as entertainment either. I'd rather listen to my Etta CD's, cassettes, and 8-tracks and read the cover info, which I believe is much more accurate.

Using the appropriate era Cadillac for the scene is even simpler. Simply ask the owner what year it is when you buy or rent it. Put a sign somewhere inconspicuous on it if you can't remember this info or have too many to deal with.

Come on this is just lame. I can see X-men or another fictional movie not caring as much about historical accuracy (although that is still annoying), but in a biographic movie, they should exert some effort in getting it right.

I agree completely. It is common, of course, for the timeline of a biopic to be skewed for dramatic effect. And for other props like an appliance just getting close to the era is generally considered OK. But cars were and are easily identified by model year, and if it is supposed to be 1960 then how hard is it to just not use a car newer than 1960? Todd C

I think a 1941 Continental is exactly the kind of car Sonny would have driven through the war years. I assume the Alfa Romeo blown up in Italy was a slightly later model, but did not know well enough to have it detract for me. What did you notice? Todd C

Actually the Continental was one instance where the car in question was likely too old for the scene. The shooting of Sonny occurred well into the Tattaglia/Corleone war, which didn't even begin until some time after Michael returned from the war. Chronologically it would have to have been at least 1948 or 1949, and the Lincoln would have been about 8 years old. Even in the immediate post-war period it's stretching credibility to think that a crime figure of this stature would have that old of a car.

Even worse, the ambulance that comes to Sonny's rescue was a 1938 LaSalle. Ten years is a long time for an ambulance to be in service, especially given that they were still produced during the war unlike private cars.

The Alfa Romeo is actually exactly correct for the time portrayed. It appears to be a 1946 Model 6C 2500 Gran Turismo, which must have been a major bear to locate for the production staff. They only made 146 total in 1946. Little different later models were made in numbers as high as 467 cars annually, and could have been retrimmed as an early production model. (Of course it's a very rare car, so we had to blow it up for the movie!:rolleyes:)

As I recall many if not most of the other cars used were too new for the scenes they were in, especially the police cars in Godfather 2.

Chronologically it would have to have been at least 1948 or 1949, and the Lincoln would have been about 8 years old. Even in the immediate post-war period it's stretching credibility to think that a crime figure of this stature would have that old of a car.

Even worse, the ambulance that comes to Sonny's rescue was a 1938 LaSalle. Ten years is a long time for an ambulance to be in service, especially given that they were still produced during the war unlike private cars.

I agree that a 1941 Lincoln would have been too old in 1948-9. But a 1960 Cadillac in 1969 for a music producer would have been even older, especially if it was purchased in 1955 :rolleyes: with no WWII to interrupt new car sales. And while it possible for a 1941 Continental to still be used in 1949, it would not be possible to buy a 1960 Cadillac in 1955, or a 1966 in 1963.

As far as the ambulance, a 10 year old ambulance would not be uncommon. Hearses and ambulances were very expensive, and were generally used until they were used up. It is quite common to see a 10 - 20 year old hearse still performing duty in a smaller town. Only in prestigious large cities would a hearse be replaced more frequently when it became too outdated looking. An ambulance would not have this prestige factor going, and most likely would not be replaced simply because it looked dated. It would be replaced when it was worn out, or its medical equipment became too outdated. But back in 1948, there probably was not too much difference between the interior equipment of a 1948 and 1938, plus equipment could be purchased and added later. The focus was on getting to the hospital quickly back then, unlike today when immediate on site care is the priority.

If there were any ambulances produced during WWII, they were probably for military use. I know Henney stopped production of civilian ambulances and did not resume production until 1948 because the prewar senior chassis was discontinued, and they did not tool up for the 1946-47 Clipper. They tooled up for the 1948-50 bathtub instead. I would be interested to see where you get the info about ambulances being built for private use during WWII.

And yes of course it is necessary to blow up or smash up the very rare cars. :mad:

About the only good thing I can say about Cadillac Records is that with the exception of the 1957 with no doors, they did not destroy any cars. And it looks like if they put the doors back on and maybe some minor front end repairs, it would have been fine. I assume they probably didn't bother with that though.

Hello Linc400, being a car guy and movie buff this is a constant issue for me (and source of eye-rolling from the wife if I say much). I cannot help Todd C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Todd,

I'm beginning to think your wife and mine are sisters! You know when it's bad when you see a documentary on the attack on Pearl Harbor and some of the cars are not only post war 1946-1948, but cars from 1949-1952. They must think we are stupid.

Don

Actually the Continental was one instance where the car in question was likely too old for the scene. The shooting of Sonny occurred well into the Tattaglia/Corleone war, which didn't even begin until some time after Michael returned from the war. Chronologically it would have to have been at least 1948 or 1949, and the Lincoln would have been about 8 years old. Even in the immediate post-war period it's stretching credibility to think that a crime figure of this stature would have that old of a car.

The Alfa Romeo is actually exactly correct for the time portrayed. It appears to be a 1946 Model 6C 2500 Gran Turismo, which must have been a major bear to locate for the production staff. They only made 146 total in 1946. Little different later models were made in numbers as high as 467 cars annually, and could have been retrimmed as an early production model. (Of course it's a very rare car, so we had to blow it up for the movie!:rolleyes:)

As I recall many if not most of the other cars used were too new for the scenes they were in, especially the police cars in Godfather 2.

Dave, I am not sure about your timeline on Sonny--though the movie does not make it entirely clear. I recall in a meeting scene after the Christmas season shooting of Don Corleone Robert Duvall says "it is almost 1946." So that gives us a firm December 1945 at that point. Moving ahead it would seem to me Michael shot the Captain and went to Italy in Jan/Feb of 1946. Vito Corleone must have been brought home in the ambulance in March, then Sonny must have beaten up Carlo in June or July 1946 and been killed within a month or so after that.

So if that is actually the timeline I am willing to forgive both the ambulance and the 1941 Continental. But, after you pointed it out, I do agree that it does seem likely that a gangster of Sonny's rank would have probably wanted the first 1946 Continental available AND been able to get it. Now with that same line of thinking for Michael it seems the Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 would be perfect for a rich American in postwar Sicily. BUT should he have thought that would be too high profile? Or did he trust his bodyguards enough not to worry? (This is the part of the conversation where my wife would remind me these people are not real....:) )

Now looking at Part Two I have not noticed a problem. The movie commenced in 1958 and went on to New Year's Eve in Cuba. In Miami and Cuba all the cars I noticed were 1957-58 or earlier, and in Nevada Kay is driving a 1957 Buick station wagon. The cars in Cuba maybe should have been a bit older, but were all within limits. I do not remember any police cars, let me know what you noticed. Thanks for the conversation, Todd C

PS to Don--yes, I agree!