Okay, pulling my hair out!!!

TheBlackMoon

Hey guys,

I tried to search for this, but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Tried to go through Pa. inspection and they hit me for sway bar bushings. He complained that they "looked" :confused: old and dry-rotted (front and back). OBVIOUSLY the guy did NOT test drive the car or he'd have cracked his head (or my side window) the first time he tested that assumption! Must've figured them for an easily replaceable, high-priced-ticket item for his shop, cause he couldn't find much else wrong (inner tie rod, courtesy Baltimore City Streets, and fuel tank straps which, again, "looked a bit" rusted). Gheeze! :eek:

So, anyway, here's the problem. Went to Pep Boys (Dealer doesn't have them) for sway bar bushings, and they have them. Problem is, I need to know if they are 18mm or 19mm. Did Reattas have both? Are the Front and Rear bars the same?

Need help asap. Only given 15days to order, install, and re-inspect. Thanks.

Guest NEMO

what year car are you working on? The fronts sway bar is DIFFERENT in the 1989 and the 1990. I think the rear is the same on both years. What size they are I do not know. Try auto zone ,or match up the old ones.

88-89 just uses regular (I used red ones) polyurethane bushings available at FLAPS. 90-91 is odd. Don't you have a '90 ? For those you might ask Jim if he has some good links.

Guest Recian

i had the same issue with mine when i got links for mine. The bushings can be found on the auto store's shelf with all the jegs type stuff like valve covers and oil caps and stuff for GM V8s I think i ended up with 18s for my 89

Are we talking about the rubber bushings which connect the bar to the frame or the end links that connect to the suspension at either end? The end links on a '90 look like small tie rods, sort of. The earlier models are the common bolt and bushing that goes back for decades. For the frame bushings, measure the diameter of the bar at some straight area and convert to metric to get the correct parts. I think, the early models used a larger bar with more compliant end links and the later models a smaller bar with more rigid ends? Measure to be sure.