1925 Buick Standard rear axle interchange

calntvs

My mistake, not enough information. I'm just wanting to know if the axles themselves (I have one with a damaged taper) will interchange within the differential unit between a 1925 standard and a 1927 standard.

Thanks for any help

thanks for the information. looks like i will have to take the hard way out of this axle problem and have the existing axle repaired. this site is great! I'm in California and got my answer from Sweden!

Thanks Leif

Don`t repair(at least not weld),try to find another one,as you can see it looks like you can use one from 4 cyl.models too,try to search on e-bay or other places.This forum for example,I think you can get some help here.

Leif in Sweden

calntvs

The axles are different between 25 and 27 standard, Th 25 is square where it goes into the planetary gears and the 27 has splines as can be seen from the attachment from Leif. The splined axle and gears are better because there are no weak spots. the square gears break at the corners. You can change the axles to 27,s but you need to change the planetary gears also. Also the splined axle is thicker {and stronger} and there is a ring inside the axle housing which needs to be ground out a bit to get the axle in. I sent mine to a machine shop to have it done.The brake mechanism is different between the 27 and 25 so you can,t really change the whole axle.

Rod

Edited by ROD W
PS : Also the 25 has 22" wheel , the 27 has 21" wheeels. the centre hubs are different, probably different tappers. (see edit history)