1949 Buick brakes

Guest fortyninebuick

Guest fortyninebuick

Hi,

My 49 Buick is back together after a complete body off restoration. My problem is while driving on normal roads and braking normally, my pedal gets hard and I get a drag from the brakes. Ive found this to be the rears. After it sits awhile it is back to normal. The shoes are adjusted correctly when cold, all lines are new and routed exactly as they were originally. Any input on what is happening ?

Thanks in advance

Al

Guest fortyninebuick

yes, everything is brand new, hydraulic and mechanical. To me it seems heat related ????

Guest fortyninebuick

That sounds like a good idea, I will inspect and adjust tomarrow. Wouldnt that be a problem though all the time ? It doesnt happen untill a few miles of stop and start driving ?

That sounds like a good idea, I will inspect and adjust tomarrow. Wouldnt that be a problem though all the time ? It doesnt happen untill a few miles of stop and start driving ?

If the pedal does not have enough free play the brakes will not release. There is a little hole in the master cylinder that lets the brake fluid flow back into the reservoir when you release the brake pedal. If this hole is covered the brakes will not release.

You won't notice until you use the brakes a few times. But once they start to drag, heat expansion makes the brakes drag worse. If you leave the car set for a while the pressure oozes out and the brakes return to normal, until you use them again.

The brake rod that pushes the master cylinder must release completely and have a little clearance. This usually translates to an inch of pedal travel before the brake cylinder is actuated.

Check the rear flex hose again. I had the same problem on a '47 Roadmaster. Replaced all hoses and in a few months had the same problem. Took off the rear flex hose and cut it open. The inside of the hose had swollen to the point the opening was less than 1/16". Put on another new hose and that corrected the problem. If it was a problem with the master cylinder push rod adjustment, you would have problems on all wheels not just the rear.

Guest fortyninebuick

Thanks guys, that was it. I had NO free pedal play. I gave it about an inch of play and took it out 3-4 times and no dragging. What threw me off was that it only started doing it after driving a bit, I kept thinking it was shoe adjustment or something. On to another problem !!

THANKS !!!