Show at the Speedway in Indy

Dave Mitchell

My buddy Greg went, with his 1912 Stoddard Dayton, don't have pictures yet, but you can read about it on the large Avanti thread under projects.

You can also look at pictures of his SD engine on (a great early picture site):

The Old Motor | Old Photos of Antique Cars and Trucks

His comment was that, at least on one day they were running cars around the track, it wasn't open to the public, which sounds crazy.........and they ran them around by year, with earliest cars going first, on up to more modern race cars..........

I was there, and I have some thoughts:

There was an eclectic mix of quality cars from 1911 - 1961. I would say that full classics dominated in numbers, but there was something for nearly everyone. I was judging in a group that covered cars from 1914 - 1922, and included Stutzes, Marmons a McFarland and several other interesting makes that you don't see often. All in all, a very good show.

The location and history of the race track made for an excellent "pull" of Indiana-based cars and high performance vehicles -- except there were only two Duesenbergs (a 1923 and the Mormon Meteor), which surprised me somewhat. However, the incredibly broad selection of late vintage Stuzes and Marmon 16s made up for it.

As one might expect for a first-time show, the organization was a little loosey-goosey; I think this is something that could be rectified if a few people with experience running a concours lent a hand and the speedway assigned a specific team of individuals to help manage the process. For example, on the Friday before the show, cars were parked on a first-come basis. As a result, when it came time to drive the track, it was impractical to resort the cars into appropriate divisions. Therefore, they took *all* cars, regardless of year, in one big group. If my 15-year-old son had been there, *he* could have driven the track and no one would have known. Also, if they do it again, I would suggest that they find some way to rope-off the cars or park them where only serious old car lovers would seek them out (most folks were there for the first day of practice laps) -- I was there when one spectator spilled a coke on a 1937 MB 540 while leaning over and looking in, and I had to politely ask more than one person not to lean against my car while waiting in line. Yikes!

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

I thought this was a very nice show that has incredible potential if they decide to do it again. I was surprised at the distance that entrants came from and the quality of the cars. I couldn't be there on Friday, but heard good things about it. What other show has got Indy cars running 200+ mph a stone's throw from the show field? I really, really like the fact that regular people can come in and see the cars without having to pay hundreds of dollars. The setting was great and the variety of cars was superb. It was amazing to see Model T, Model A, brass cars, MGs, as well as 2(!) MB Special Roadsters, the Morman Meteor, a 2900 Alfa, and at least 250 others. I certainly hope they do this again.

David -- I thought it was all-in-all a great show too, and I agree that folks shouldn't have to pay big bucks to see these cars. As noted above, my one concern is that a little more protection be provided to the cars. When I was at Meadow Brook, they were able to protect the cars while still giving spectators a great view.

Cecil, I agree, it is nicer if you take a really nice car to know that it is out of reach of people spilling Coke in it. I once had a guy, (who should know better as he owns classics himself, but he was trying to be cool) back into the open door panel of my car while holding his lit cigar behind his back, then act like he didn't do it. I also had the wife of a show off close the door on my car with her oversize diamond on her hand and chip the paint on the door. These were car people, not spectators. It is nice if you can walk away from your car and not worry about it. I was alone at Indy and wanted to see the cars, so I just walked away from mine, and there were hand prints etc on it when I came back - but the dirt from the rain was worse. Most people are pretty good. I saw three little kids who wanted to see in the back of my car, but weren't tall enough. I opened the door and they were amazed. They had never seen anything like it. Then I asked them if they wanted to sit in the driver's seat and have their dads take their photos - all three did and also the dads too. Those kids were having a good time and who knows maybe someday they will buy an old car. It is fun to have people who have never seen these cars be able to come out on a Saturday and spend $50 to bring the whole family in, and see them be amazed by the cars.

I was there with my 1925 Stutz 693 Roadster on Friday and Saturday. I am new to the pre-war cars and my wife and I work very hard for 4 years to meet our goal of having the Stutz road worthy for the Stutz Centennial Show on Friday.

Needless to say we were excited and enjoyed the entire experience with all of the flaws. The parade lap was great.

Saturday's show did have some fine looking cars.

I was also surprised that the Friday Stutz show was not open to the public. We had 51 Stutz cars on display, the most Stutz cars ever assembled in one show.

post-50728-143138548081_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I also received the letter to return and will plan to bring the 1925 Stutz 693 again to take another lap of the track.

With a few suspension tweaks and tire pressure adjustments we may get across the finish line at a blistering 40 MPH next year!!!!

post-50728-143138604609_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest studepeople

Dave : My wife and I took our 1930 President to the show .I got to judge cars in the 1930 Marmon and Stutz class. Our Car was out front of the Pagoda right on the end so we got max. picture taking spot. We had a great time stayed right there at the track. Dan Dinsmore

• 2 months later...
Guest studepeople

Again we had a great time showing our car , but it was a special event. I guess now they are planning to do it again. I hope that it does'nt become ho hum........just another car show......

post-71352-143138740119_thumb.jpg