Carburetor rebuild question

Rusty_OToole

Today I was lucky enough to buy a rebuilt carb at an auction. It is a Carter B&B carburetor for a 1951-54 Chrysler six. Age unknown but probably predates the introduction of gasohol in the 80s.

The question is do I need to rebuild the carb again with new alcohol resistant parts? Which parts specifically and where can I buy them?

I have rebuilt carbs successfully before or at least cleaned them in carb cleaner and installed carb kits. I find the secret is to go right to headquarters and get the rebuild instructions from the factory manual and don't go getting ideas of your own. Follow directions exactly especially as to settings and it should be fine. That and go easy, most parts are brass and pot metal and can be damaged if you go at it like King Kong.

Carter used leather pumps in their carburetors. Leather is totally impervious to ethanol. However, some of the cheap rebuilding kits for Carters have/had neopreme pumps. Whether it needs replacing depends on which kit was used by the previous rebuilder.

The fuel valve is probably OK. Contrary to internet "intelligence", the neopreme valves normally work better, even with ethanol, than the older Monel steel valves. Ethanol can cause the Monel steel valves to rust, which will certainly cause failure. Carter did use (for a few years) a solid thermoplastic valve. These work great, but tend to fail with a "wear ring" after about 50K miles. Wish I could find a source for these.

Probably the main issue with the Carter B & B (assuming the last rebuilder removed the warpage) would be gaskets. Carter used velumoid material which was cut wet. After a period of time with no moisture it shrinks. Look down the throat of the carburetor. If you can see the gasket, it needs replacing.

Rebuilding kits containing ethanol resistant parts are readily available by mail order, but you will need the carburetor identification number. On the Chrysler B & B the number is stamped on the vertical strengthening vane. Orient the carburetor such that the fuel inlet is on your right, you will now be placing the proper side of the vane.

573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Wed central time).

Jon.

Guest Albert

Grant , if you need i have the Carter service manual, which goes into all the specs, and settings if you dont have..