Buick axle help

Barry D

Need help getting axle's out of the differential case on a 1925 Buick Master. My book dosen't say how and cant see any lock or nut on axle end. Need to get them out to press hub's off. And need 2 wheel bolt's, 2 nut's ,1 Buick wedge and 1 brake lever return spring on passenger side. Thanks Barr

Thanks for reply Mark.

I need to redo the wheels and brakes.Spokes need sanding and brakes relined. Have a puller that screws on axle but haven't been able to get them off. Doing a complet restore

on this car,would like to make sure all bearing's are good to. Sand blasting everything and repainting.Let me know when you get back and see if i need hub puller. Barr

Barr,

Are the wheels still on the car and the car driveable? If so, just loosen up the nut on the axle just a little bit and then drive the car in a couple of "figure 8's" SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY. If you do this, most of the tiem the wheel will break loose from the axle and then be removed. Do not do any road driving after this exercise as you can damage the wheel and/or axle.

At least on a '23, there is no need to remove the axle shaft from the hub. Just remove the six acorn nuts on the hub and slide out the hub and shaft as one item. Unless you are replacing the hub or shaft, there is no reason to split the two. And on a '23 the two are held together with a huge nut, key and tapered shaft interface to the tapered hub bore. Best to leave these two 'frozen' together to transmit the drive torque.

Brain thanks for confirming what i found out yesterday. Forgot I friend of mine has a 23 and 27 plus tones of old Buick parts. We found a wheel off and saw how it was held on,simple after you see it. Now to find a inner brake band. Barr