Need axle repair shop

I'm rebuilding the rear axle from a 1928 Studebaker Commander for my Indy car project. The axle had been rescued from a scrap yard and the threaded end of the axle suffered some rust and damage over the years. It started life as a 1"-14 thread, but now measures about .950" diameter.

Does anyone have experience with a shop that could machine off the damaged surface (about an inch long), weld on some new metal, and re-thread it to the correct size?

axle_shaft_end_150025.jpg

Alternatively, does anyone have one or two axle shafts, p/n 150025, from a 1928 GB or GH car, either NOS or good used?

The good news is that I have been able to collect an entire set of new bearing cups and cones for the entire rear end set. I'm hoping that the axle shop can also press off the cone on the outer shaft taper and press on a new one. These were rare, expensive cones, but OlCar Bearing Co., in Southern Pines, NC sent me a set.

Gary,

While I've never been in need of the operation you describe, I've received excellent driveline machining from two shops in my area. If no one else steps forward, it may be worth calling either, or both, to explain your need and see if they think it would be a piece of cake.

Paterson Machine Shop, Philipsburg, PA (814) 342-4745

Penn Public, Altoona, PA (800) 321-9643

Brad

Guest stude8

Gary

I recall the shop that rebuilt my 1930 President 8 engine in 1999 ( Auto Machine Inc; 310 N. 6th St; St Charles, IL; 630-584-1188; Kim Ramont mgr) had a machine that did the operation you are seeking. It was to deposit metal to crankshaft journals that were severly worn or damaged to restore them back to slight oversize OD then grind the new metal deposit to the standard diameter again. I know these were cast iron cranks but I think it was capable of applying steel weld also. It did the weld in a cloud of powder to prevent oxidation of the weld surface.

The crankshaft was chucked at both ends in precise alignment and rotated at a slow RPM then the welding process was applied in a helical pattern left to right or opposite and over lapped as many times as needed to get the thickness required. I watched it operate once on a visit to check on my engine work and was fascinated how they had way to restore rare and hopelessly damaged cranks for odd ball older diesel truck engines and the like.

Check with your local engine rebuilders if any has such a machine. I have some views of this machine on video (static, not in operation) and maybe I can browse old footage and get the name of it.

Stude8