Shifting habits in a 1936 Pontiac Deluxe

Dauphinee

Ok here is a question. I took the old girl out for a drive and was told that it doesn't like to down shift.

Is that normal for an older car not to like to go from 3 to 2??

I took it out and it liked to shift from

1-2 around 15

2-3 around 25

Didn't like to downshift.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old cars are not like new cars. You don't have to shift gears all the time. Once you get into 3d you can leave it there unless you slow right down or climb a steep hill.

It should go from 3d to 2nd easily but not too fast. Not as fast as going from 2nd to 3d. It helps to synchronise the speed of the engine in other words rev up a bit. Go slow on the shift and it should be OK.

Going into low from second is hard because old cars don't have synchromesh on first gear. There you really have to synchronise the speed exactly.

Double clutching makes this easier. Step on the clutch, take it out of gear to neutral, release the clutch to stop the spinning gears in the tranny, step back on the clutch, put the car in gear. This takes a second to learn but makes this car shift far smoother. Our 34 chevy doesn't require the double clutching, but likes it, especially for downshifting, which is unneccessary most of the time. I've learned to trust the torque and if it's rolling above 10 mph, I'll just leave it in third and ease into the gas pedal. Good Luck with her!!

post-59076-143138533294_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby

As long as my 37 Pontiac is going at least10 mph, it does just fine if left in 3rd gear.

When you drive around, notice how much the revs drop when you shift up. This is how much you have to rev up the engine when you shift down, if you are double clutching. There is a knack to it. With enough practice you can synchronize the engine and trans speed by ear so accurately you do not need to use the clutch at all. I used to do this all the time on a Renault with a bum clutch. Best not try this without years of practice.