Question on mufflers and their sounds

chstickl

Hi,

compared to the usual, this is a rather cosmetic question on sounds. When I overhauled the engine of my 37 Roadmaster, I also got a new exhaust system.

With my old exhaust, the engine was whisper soft, rather a humming and soft gliding. The new one (from Waldrons) announces the arrival of the car ahead of its appearance by its rather loud and not so pleasant sound.

It sounds more like an overstrained 6-cylinder rather than a straight 8. Somewhat coarse and rattling.

It that the typical "OEM-sound"?

Does it make a difference which direction the exhaust fumes take through the muffler? Maybe it was mounted the wrong way round.

Any recommendations for counter measures so that the car returns to its graceful acoustic appearance?

Thanks,

Christian

Hi,

compared to the usual, this is a rather cosmetic question on sounds. When I overhauled the engine of my 37 Roadmaster, I also got a new exhaust system.

With my old exhaust, the engine was whisper soft, rather a humming and soft gliding. The new one (from Waldrons) announces the arrival of the car ahead of its appearance by its rather loud and not so pleasant sound.

It sounds more like an overstrained 6-cylinder rather than a straight 8. Somewhat coarse and rattling.

It that the typical "OEM-sound"?

Does it make a difference which direction the exhaust fumes take through the muffler? Maybe it was mounted the wrong way round.

Any recommendations for counter measures so that the car returns to its graceful acoustic appearance?

Thanks,

Christian

Christian,

I also purchased an exhaust from Waldrons for my 1941 56C but have yet to install it. The muffler is not marked "in" or "flow" as expected. Have you contacted Waldrons at all to get to the bottom of this?

There is no indication of flow direction on mine either. Waldron asked, if the perforated tube runs the full length of the muffler, or if there is a gap in the middle. The quieter versions are the ones with the perforated tube running the full length through. You might want to check that and ask for an exchange. They also said that it´ll make no difference which way to install it.

I haven´t checked mide yet since it is built in and I haven´t had time to get the car on the hoist.

Christian