1930 Model U truck

Guest 1930

I hope this is what you are looking for George, I have this salesmans book and it is maybe 2-300 pages but I have not had a chance to learn much about the different styles of trucks. There is information within the book listing 133 4 cyl and 133 6 cyl. You had asked for 1930 U-133 and I am assuming this is one of them.

I started posting images of this book some months back here and would be more than happy to do so again but I would ask that some of you truck guys ( I know you are out there ) teack me something as we go along. Anyone interested?

George if this is not what you are looking for any everyone is closed mouthed than we can exchange info via private e-mail until I get you what you need.

post-48869-143138522795_thumb.jpg

Sure thing, there is a special section entitled conversions and special equipment for standard bodies.

It lists what could be added after the cab such as doors partitions behind cab, stake body ect, also there are sections which give dimensions of vehicles as it sits, not just overall dimensions but dimensions of many points along the chasis ( down to the quarter of an inch as it states on the heading ) incuding pretty thorough dimensions of the cab itself and all sheet metal. Let me know if I can be of further help.

• 2 years later...

Just an update. Also got my build card for the 1930 U133. Engine serial number matches build card. Shows the metric speedo and that the truck was shipped to Istanbul, Turkey and not France as we had been told. Funny how stories get morfed over time. However, the build card has hand writter notes over the typed Istanbul, Turkey that say Syracuse, NY. Dealer in Turkey was Auto Tire & Tractor Company. Shows vehicle was shipped as a chassis which is in line with what we believed. Build date was 1/15/1930. Build card also shows the steel wheels.

Thats neat George, I found a poster for your truck, will post the pics and info when I find it again, hopefully tonight

I believe your model would have been upper center, removable sides? Tough to remember what model everyone has.

post-48869-143142059922_thumb.jpg

post-48869-14314205994_thumb.jpg

I would like to know what specific revisions were made to the Plymouth Q engine to make it a more truck worthy engine for these Dodges, was it just the basic changes or whatever changes took place for the new model U or were there some other things?

In other words they started out with the basic Q engine, it later was revised to make it more suitable for these trucks, what changes were made?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

That's very good news George, congrats on this one and the other numbers matching truck....

George , would you happen to have a close-up photo of your front bumper ? I am trying to track down any indication of what the front bumper medallions should have looked like.

Jason thanks, that truck in middle of top row is it. Those are some shots I did not have.

I don't have the bumper on the truck right now, but will try and get a picture of the medallion. I believe it is diamond shape and pretty plain.

I don't know specifically what the difference in the truck motors are except they are different. One item I have noticed being different is the water pump on the 4 cylinder TU motors.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much George.

Can you send me the depth of the stock? Either post it here or email me the measurement when you get a chance. I can't thank you enough, very very helpful to my cause.

BTW have you ever seen any close-ups of what the original design would have been in the inserts ?

The insert is actually a carriage bolt chromed. I will dig out the back tomorrow an grab a photo of the bolt and back.

He may be talking about the background "peened" looking areas at the top and bottom.

He may be talking about the background "peened" looking areas at the top and bottom.

Thanks John, yes, that is what I was referring to.

Here is a photo that I believe holds a very key piece of info for us truck owners, however, no luck contacting the owner on many occasions. Seems like it says "Dodge" in the top insert, still looking for better proof.

post-69994-14314214407_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

I'm just going to put my 2 cents worth in on the build ticket. I thought that 'Inq.' (Inquiry) was issued from the dealer/end buyer but it appears it was an in-house thing. My cowl and chassis has an 'Inq.' number on it as well. My '35 says 'COWL' and was a flat faced cowl and chassis. I wonder if 'chassis' means it was missing more of the front end or the girl in the front office just used 'chassis' to mean cowl and chassis. Since the build ticket indicates it has a metric speedo it must be the latter. It appears the truck was waylaid to Syracuse and never made it to Istanbul?? I believe from somewhere in the back of my memory I believe Chrysler Corp. continued using the DeSoto name on a line of trucks made in Istanbul long after the name had died here in North America. Any guesses what the 'LRB + RF' mean? LR should mean left rear and RF should mean right front on these cards,usually. But what? And 'KD'. Any guesses?

I'm just going to put my 2 cents worth in on the build ticket. I thought that 'Inq.' (Inquiry) was issued from the dealer/end buyer but it appears it was an in-house thing. My cowl and chassis has an 'Inq.' number on it as well. My '35 says 'COWL' and was a flat faced cowl and chassis. I wonder if 'chassis' means it was missing more of the front end or the girl in the front office just used 'chassis' to mean cowl and chassis. Since the build ticket indicates it has a metric speedo it must be the latter. It appears the truck was waylaid to Syracuse and never made it to Istanbul?? I believe from somewhere in the back of my memory I believe Chrysler Corp. continued using the DeSoto name on a line of trucks made in Istanbul long after the name had died here in North America. Any guesses what the 'LRB + RF' mean? LR should mean left rear and RF should mean right front on these cards,usually. But what? And 'KD'. Any guesses?

I also believe that you are correct about the DeSoto trucks in Turkey. I believe the "KD" on the sheet means "knocked down" for assembly at the final destination dealer.

On the build card, my 1932 has an INQ number. I wondered if this was an additional order number. My 1931 does not have this on build card.

Here are some more photos of the bumper medallion for the 30. Back is cast. Front is about 3/8 to 1/2" thick depending on where you measure. The indentation on the front is no deeper than 1/8". Also here is a photo of same from 31.

post-69599-143142144749_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143142144753_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143142144757_thumb.jpg

More thoughts on build card. My 31 has BOAT at the bottom under remarks. Wonder if these have something to do with shipping. The 30, 31 and 32 have LH with DIST, always assumed this was left hand drive. This was noted in different places like drive-model, speedo and ignition.

Guest DodgeKCL

Yes I could agree on 'install' long running boards and 'install' rear fenders. LH does mean left hand drive. What does DIST mean? Here are some of the codes used on my build card: STEEL for steel artillery wheels/ 5.25X17 for size/ 4 GDYR for 4 ply Goodyear tires or just 4 tires no spare?/ COWL for the flat faced cowl and chassis/ SHEEP R.C. for Rocky Mountain sheep rad cap/ F/WELL for fender well for spare tire (No longer on my truck as of the 1950s. It has no mounting anywhere for a spare. I've always assumed fender mounted spares were ripe for thieves and had to be locked up(Where's the key?!) and the company had it's own repair shop, so I've assumed if the guy had a flat the shop would come out and change it. The truck was only used around Toronto city proper.)/ SHOCKS FRT + RR for shocks front and rear/ NO REAR BUMPER/ LHD for left hand drive/ T12 for engine type/ 119" for wheelbase and '4.1' for axle ratio plus that 'INQ' number which you have on yours.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Guest DodgeKCL

I guessed that DIST was distributor because it was in the IGNITION box but why? They shipped chassis without distributors if you didn't ask? (LOL) It appears to say LH left hand distributor. Could you have a right hand distributor? My ORDER NUMBER is 62927 on my Oct. 1935 build ticket. I've never fiqured out exactly what it means either. My INQ. (inquiry) number is 15439 and it's grease pencilled on cab side of my firewall UNDER the firewall mat on TOP(?) of the outside custom blue paint. Which I've always taken to mean the chassis was painted in it's custom blue paint (allowed a day to dry) ,then the Inq. number was grease pencilled on,then the firewall mat was installed with it's six black painted snaps. Then it was shipped to Canada. There is one other way it could have been done. There is a possibilty the grease pencil bled through the paint and the Inq. was put on bare metal before the paint job. I guess CSI would tell us.

I guessed that DIST was distributor because it was in the IGNITION box but why? They shipped chassis without distributors if you didn't ask? (LOL) It appears to say LH left hand distributor. Could you have a right hand distributor? My ORDER NUMBER is 62927 on my Oct. 1935 build ticket. I've never fiqured out exactly what it means either. My INQ. (inquiry) number is 15439 and it's grease pencilled on cab side of my firewall UNDER the firewall mat on TOP(?) of the outside custom blue paint. Which I've always taken to mean the chassis was painted in it's custom blue paint (allowed a day to dry) ,then the Inq. number was grease pencilled on,then the firewall mat was installed with it's six black painted snaps. Then it was shipped to Canada. There is one other way it could have been done. There is a possibilty the grease pencil bled through the paint and the Inq. was put on bare metal before the paint job. I guess CSI would tell us.

Could be ordered with either dist, or mag, it will specify which on the build card

Guest DodgeKCL

Didn't know that. FARRELLG if you're still listening I'd be curious if you still have your firewall pad on and if you remove a few clips and peek under it ,is your Inq. number grease pencilled there like mine.?