Hood fasteners for 1950 Buick Special

Guest salyersb

Guest salyersb

I am trying to find this type of hood fastener for a 1950 Buick Special. I am told that they made 4 types for this year model car. I am also told that this was the first type made.

Also, does anyone know how to convert the hood over to use one of the other type of fasteners? If so, how much expense and trouble would it be?

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

post-74909-143138517484_thumb.jpg

post-74909-14313851753_thumb.jpg

I would talk to Ken at Wheatbelt to see if he has any of the later hood hinges.

You will need to run a cable int each side of the interior for the hood pull release and also make a mounting bracket for the pulls.

I imagine any 50 - 53 Buick would have the parts you need. Why do you wnat to change ? I liked the 1st type of hood opener.

Thats a nice Special with the Deluxe trim option you have. I had a plain Jane version that I used for a parts car.

I liked the slant back on those.

Guest salyersb

Hi, Bil!!! I really don't want to change hood fasteners, but I can't find the original ones anywhere. Do you know where I can get the first type hood opener? I love the car and would like to keep it original. I have the hood latches still on it, but they are wore out and won't catch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I love the car and would like to keep it original. I have the hood latches still on it, but they are wore out and won't catch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried repairing the originals?

They are pretty basic. The swivel rivets can be drilled and replaced if worn and the rest can be gently bent back to original shape if distorted. Make sure there is a little grease on the latch face so the locking rod on the hood slides and engages.

The rest is just adjustment, up/down mainly. Also make sure you have good rubber bumpers all round where the hood rests on the fenders, cowl and grill - these are critical and what exert a little pressure back on the locks to keep them locked.

I think they were always troublesome and were replaced by March 1950.

Try and purchase a copy of the 1950 Abridged Edition of the Buick Product Service Bulletins. This includes a Bulletin on replacing the early hood guides and spacers from early production vehicles with those introduced later in production.

• 2 years later...
Guest Joshhirst13

Hi. How would you go about replacing the swivel rivets/shoulder rivets to repair these hinges I'm trying to repair a couple right now. I can't find these rivets anywhere. Especially the exact size. Any help or a detailed explanation of the process would be of great help. Thanks.

QUOTE=50jetback;878767]Have you tried repairing the originals?

They are pretty basic. The swivel rivets can be drilled and replaced if worn and the rest can be gently bent back to original shape if distorted. Make sure there is a little grease on the latch face so the locking rod on the hood slides and engages.

The rest is just adjustment, up/down mainly. Also make sure you have good rubber bumpers all round where the hood rests on the fenders, cowl and grill - these are critical and what exert a little pressure back on the locks to keep them locked.

I think they were always troublesome and were replaced by March 1950.

Try and purchase a copy of the 1950 Abridged Edition of the Buick Product Service Bulletins. This includes a Bulletin on replacing the early hood guides and spacers from early production vehicles with those introduced later in production.