Bye All :( Selling my 88 Reatta for a new Love

Guest ReattaFan1

Guest ReattaFan1

Well, The Reatta fever hit me and I was cured with this car that Ive been working on over the last 7 months. It was to the point where I had to ask, do I want to sink any more money into a rusting car or get into something else. I have to say I still love the Reatta. If I had purchased a car that was is much better shape I'd would have been much happier. Well, Today I found a deal on a VW Passat. Paid $1900 cash. And It's a southern car! No Rust. Ice cold air, new engine, axels, and a stack full of regularly scheduled service receipts.

Well, I just wanted to do a proper farewell and say thank you to all the help you all gave me along the way. It's been very informative, and FUN! I just hope the group at passatworld forum is as helpful.

If anyone need or knows someone that need a nice clean parts car send them my way. Reply here or shoot me an email. I'll keep the my reatta forum membership until the car is sold. Thanks all!

Ill miss you all

Doug

2000Passat.jpg

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

Guest ReattaFan1

Yeah Marck! I'll be happy to work on your radio modules. just send em my way.

As for the price of the car, Im not sure of the going rate for a parts car. What would you say is fair? As far as making the trip to NC I think it'd make it just fine. The transmission still seems a little quirky shifting between 2nd and 3rd. The guy I bought this car from said he purchased this car in Kentucky and had been driving it that way by using the manual shift leaver. When I got the car I noticed the trans modulator was bad and full of fluid, so that had been replaced. TV cable had way too much slack in the line and just needed adjusting. After doing all that work the car shifts fine at first when cool, but after warming up the 2nd and 3rd shift timing is off. Tomorrow I'll take some good clear pics of the car and post em here for you all to see

Guest Double M
Angelo,

That picture of your car in your signature looks great.

Thanx man, it is really the pic from the ebay ad that I won from Lees's Auto Ranch, way up in Conneticut (for $1150!), Then I just put in a new background with Photoshop... I'm a Graphic Designer among other things... Here is the original photo, the one that got me hooked...

58995_476002397315_755087315_6728766_2255234_n.jpg

Guest Richard D

I predict that you will be back within a year or so. Or at least checking Craigs list or ebay once a week. The Passat is nice but you will never get a thumbs up driving down the street.

All the Best,

Richard

I hate to hear this kind of story. I know it can be discouraging working on something that needs a lot more work than one is prepared to put in due to a host of circumstances (time, funds, knowledge, facilities, etc.) so I can relate to just wanting to be out from under the weight of carrying such an albatross. Been there and done that.

That said, the Reatta is a special car that just calls some people to the challenge. You seem to have been on the right track, save for needing the funds to get over the proverbial hump to get her back in shape. I understand present circumstances make it impractical, but I hope you'll be back in the future and take another shot at it with a car that is not in need of quite as much restorative effort. Once you get a nice Reatta (or turn a rough one into a nice one) it is a very satisfying vehicle to own.

Best of luck!

KDirk