What's the value???

RivNut

I have to file a claim with FedEx for damage to a '63 cast aluminum wheel cover. In getting it from CA to KS, a 3" part of the lip was broken off.

I'm just curious as to what you think one is worth in today's market. I bought a set of four, what will it take to replace just the one? Has anyone sold one lately?

I have a picture of it before it was shipped, and it was in excellent shape other than being dirty.

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I would guess that a cover like that in excellent condition without the spinner would be around $200 or so.If you have classic car insurance you may consider calling them. If your car were in an accident and the wheel damaged they would need to source or repair the cover.

I feel your pain Ed,only its always UPS that damages or loses my hard to find parts!

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Mark

I would think you will need to establish a written fair market value or you Could you get a repair estimate from a wheel repair company. Last year I had an a.c. schnitzer alloy racing wheel repaired after some old geezer did a hit and run,crunching my fender and bending the wheel.

Mark

p.s, no offense to any non guilty old geezers reading this post! lol

After talking to a couple of other guys, I've come to the same conclusion that John has; it's not a set if one is damaged. They should be responsible for the entire set.

U571 (name?) Do you still have the name of the company that repaired your aluminum wheel? If so, could you give it to me?

Thanks,

Ed (AKA non-guilty old Geezer - but with a capital G.)

A friend had a couple of 17" wheels repaired this way for his Talon in Oklahoma City. Questions they will ask are;

1. Is a piece broken completely off or just cracked?

2. If broken completely off, do you have both pieces?

3. Is it just broken off on the lip or did it get into the fins?

He used Wheel Connections, 530 N. Meridian Ave, Oklahoma City, OK. Phone is 405-947-2274. Now that I think about it, these are the same people that did some machining on my 17" wheels to clear the Riviera hubs. Hope this helps, but my friend and I have both had good experiences with these folks.

Ed,The company that repaired my wheel is local to Tucson but may be a chain called NU-WHEEL.I have seen ads in Hemmings for other companies and would not be surprised if at the very least,Witchita has a place as damaged alloy wheels are a common occurence.I would agree that if you can get a claim for the set it would be nice to have or sell a few spares.

Mark

ps with regards to shippers responsibility and actually stepping up to the plate,good luck with that,but you may have better luck with fedex than you ever would with ups.

Mark,

I don't have too much to whine about.:rolleyes:

I got these four at such a good price I couldn't pass them up. I already have six others. I have more than enough caps and spinner too. I was really hoping to come with enough nice ones to put together a complete set of covers and caps to sell a complete set of 5 covers and 4 caps to someone who might want to upgrade his wheel cover option. (The spare tire came with a cover so you didn't have to chance it out if you had a flat. All you had to reuse was the knock-off.)

I'll get in touch with the companies that have been mentioned and see what they can do for me. I do have a couple of covers that, if possible, could have a couple of dents worked out of them.

Ed