World Race in a vintage VW

rocketraider

This is the second time I heard of this couples adventure. Well, they certainly picked the right car for the job! I think they are going to get real tired of changing oil every 1,500 miles and adjusting valves every 3,000 though. Those cars are super tough, I think it's great!

Don

This is the second time I heard of this couples adventure. Well, they certainly picked the right car for the job! I think they are going to get real tired of changing oil every 1,500 miles and adjusting valves every 3,000 though. Those cars are super tough, I think it's great!

Don

I have owned tons of vintage VWs and never have I had to change oil ever 1500 miles or adjust valves every 3000 miles!!!!

I have owned tons of vintage VWs and never have I had to change oil ever 1500 miles or adjust valves every 3000 miles!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is what the factory book says, and you'll never do 150K without doing it either.;)

I suppose you don't do the ten minute warm up before driving (135 deg. oil temp) or indexing,and clean/replace Bosch only spark plugs with anti seize every 6K, or using straight weight oil only?? I know the factory dosen't mention the anti seize or the ten minute warm up bit, but as a ex flight engineer every air cooled piston engine manual does. Why? because they can't afford an engine going south between inspections, they also burn leaded fuel for that reason too because they can't afford a engine to burn a valve and fall out of the sky. We also only operate the engine in a VW in the power band of 2,000-4,000 RPM. Why?? too low and you pound out bearings and too high and you stretch the engine beyond it's ability to return to it's original shape.

D.

Wow, I'm surprised my innocuous post got deleted, wherein I noted what I use for oil change and valve adjustment intervals, drawn from my experiences as a long-time old-VW driver. Guess the censors trigger fingers must be exceptionally itchy this week.

I know this will also be deleted, but this type of hyper-sensitive editing doesn't make me want to spend a lot of time or effort contributing here. Moderators need to let people be a bit more expressive, in my opinion. What I wrote was not harmful or hurtful, and in fact, added to the discussion.

Just my two cents. Have a nice day.

Wow, I'm surprised my innocuous post got deleted, wherein I noted what I use for oil change and valve adjustment intervals, drawn from my experiences as a long-time old-VW driver. Guess the censors trigger fingers must be exceptionally itchy this week.

I know this will also be deleted, but this type of hyper-sensitive editing doesn't make me want to spend a lot of time or effort contributing here. Moderators need to let people be a bit more expressive, in my opinion. What I wrote was not harmful or hurtful, and in fact, added to the discussion.

Just my two cents. Have a nice day.

Steve, I know how you feel because I've seen it before, but it must have been something in there that you said. If you would like to say something to me just PM me and we can talk.

West, thanks for the link to keep track of these brave people, I wish them good luck and a great adventure!!

Don

That is very unusual on VW to go that distance on rod & main bearings if you don't do the items in my previous text. The reason; two and a half quarts total crankcase capacity and no oil filter. Plus if you don't do the warm up bit, 90% of the wear in air cooled engines are in the first ten minutes---they expand to their operating tolerances very slowly. That is also the reason there are no new cars with those engines today. They won't pass EPA emission test certification because they can't warm up fast enough.

Don