Inherited 1967 Dodge Dart - info welcome!

Guest mrstangblb

Guest mrstangblb

My Daddy just inherited an automatic on the column 1967 Dodge Dart (I think 225 Slant Six) that only has 89,586 original miles on it from my Great Aunt Mary who died at the young age of 103 a few weeks ago. Daddy helped her buy this car brand new in 1967 from one of the Darlington, SC sales, and before she died she said she wanted him to have it.

I was looking around at it this morning in the old shed where it has been parked for 6 years, not running or anything, and it's in great shape. The body is perfectly straight with no accidents (she literally only drove the thing once a week to town to get groceries because she lived next door to her church) and just a ding or two on the chrome that looks great. It's a white 4 door, and the interior still looks brand new except for a couple of spots where mice got in and gnawed on the headliner.

I know we need to drop the gas tank and boil it out. How hard is that to do? I've restored a 1964 Plymouth Valiant convertible before so I know a good bit about these cars, but I never dropped the tank on mine before. I know we better boil the radiator and of course replace the fuel pump, rebuild the carburetor, replace the belt and hoses... but any advice is welcome. I'm excited to get to work on this car because it's in such good shape!

Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys have to say. Also - what do you think something like this car would be worth once we wash and wax it and get it back up to speed?

Thanks!

Barry

Jeremiah 29:11-13

Good score! Those cars are pretty much bullet proof with the 225 slant six. I would suggest a new transmission filter and fluid, too. The gas tank is fairly easy to remove and re-install. Best to take as much gas out as possible before attempting removal because they are really heavy and unwieldy with gas in them. Remove the gas tank ground strap clip on the line and line, the filler pipe and then the straps below. For gaskets or even a new tank (if that one is bad), you can go to "Year One". They have all of the parts, I believe. Don't forget the little clip on the line when re-installing or your fuel gauge won't work.

Most mechanical parts from a 1967 through 1969 will interchange and even for years previously to that and way after 1969 on some stuff.

http://www.yearone.com/

post-37352-143138504566_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest mrstangblb

That is GREAT info! Is it hard to mess with the transmission filter? I had a 3-speed on the column before in the '64 Valiant convertible I had so I never messed with the autos.

Guest mrstangblb

And I plan on getting a shop manual very soon. Looks like the ones on ebay are going for about $30 shipped for the shop manuals on CD.

Transmission filter is fairly easy, too. You raise the car to get enough room for your arms and a big pan. Loosen the pan bolts on the bottom of the transmission pan. Leave one in "finger tight" on one corner. Remove all of the other bolts starting with the farthest away from the finger tight one. The pan will have to be pried off CAREFULLY with a screwdriver. Gently drop the pan on the loose corner and drain the fluid while slowly removing the last pan bolt. Remove the last bolt and the pan. You will see three screws that go into the filter. Remove those and the filter should drop right off. Get a new filter and gasket, clean the gasket surface and there you go. Be careful not to over tighten the pan bolts or you will warp the gasket area.

Guest mrstangblb

I didn't even look last night to see what size tires to run on the standard wheels. What size should we get?

I didn't even look last night to see what size tires to run on the standard wheels. What size should we get?

If it's the slant six engine, it probably came with the 13" tires.

• 3 weeks later...

I won't swear to it but I think the 67's came with 14" tires. They a bigger than the 63-66 series. As was stated most if not all mechanical parts should fit, but for body parts don't even hope for it. The major parts maybe, doors, fenders, lids etc. but the small parts almost nothing fits between 67-69.

Have fun and enjoy

I won't swear to it but I think the 67's came with 14" tires. They a bigger than the 63-66 series. As was stated most if not all mechanical parts should fit, but for body parts don't even hope for it. The major parts maybe, doors, fenders, lids etc. but the small parts almost nothing fits between 67-69.

Have fun and enjoy

You could get 13" or 14" in 1967-68 & 69.

Again I won't swear to it, but i do not think I have ever seen a 67 on up with anything but 14". 13" would look so awkward.

Look up specs for the '67 Dart. Look up stuff on ebay for the '67 Darts. You WILL find that they came with 13" wheels with the slant six engines. I have had numerous Darts so I think that I can say this with some authority. Yes...they look awkward. I have some '67 Dart rims in my yard....they are 13"

post-37352-143138523079_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138523339_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Road mister

Those cars were ahead of their time, wish they made em that simple today. My neighbor is restoring one now. I believe this is a 63 . would like to some pics of the 67.

post-63023-143138537406_thumb.jpg

post-63023-14313853743_thumb.jpg

Road mister said:
Those cars were ahead of their time, wish they made em that simple today. My neighbor is restoring one now. I believe this is a 63 . would like to some pics of the 67.

That's a 1965 Dart.

I had a '67 Valiant Signet slant six sedan and I'm pretty sure it came with 13" wheels.

I believe that most (if not all) slant six Valiants and Darts came with 13" wheels.

• 8 years later...