Convertible latch adjustment?

Matt Harwood

Hi guys,

We have a buyer for our 25K mile 1990 Reatta convertible, but he noticed that the driver's side rear decklid top post latch doesn't stay latched on the road. The top is incredibly tight (I figure that it was stowed in the down position for most of its life), so there's some tension on it. Going over bumps and it comes loose. This buyer is really, really, REALLY hung up on this one item for some reason, so I've decided to fix it. Looking at it, it seems that the post can simply be adjusted a little longer to relieve some of the tension, which might cure the problem. Is that the right approach, or is there something else I can try first?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The post should be adjusted so the rubber seal touches the tonneau. The adjustment for tightness is inside at the base of the 4th bow on both sides, the bow adjusts up and down.

Mine did the same thing until I adjusted it.

to loosen the top up, you might try removing the headliner, and placing some folded towels (not too thick) between the bows and then spreading vaseline all over it and letting it sit in the sun for a day or two with the top in the full upright position.

I've heard of this being done,however, I have never tried it myself. Be careful as to not break one of the bows.