Water Pump Lube

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

Any thoughts on using motorcycle chain lube for the front bushing of the pump? FYI it is thin when first discharged from can to run into the chain rollers, but then it thickens for a longer lasting better lubrication. Doug

Guest MidTNDawg

Well, this is interesting, one black, one white. Dave, I do not think there is any graphite in this lube, but I will check the contents. Goes on, and in, kind of like a foam and then congeals, is probably the best way to describe it. I will get back to you.

Doug

Well, this is interesting, one black, one white. Dave, I do not think there is any graphite in this lube, but I will check the contents. Goes on, and in, kind of like a foam and then congeals, is probably the best way to describe it. I will get back to you.

Doug

Yeah....what you said about foam...that's the stuff I was thinking of.

Guest MidTNDawg
If it is the black nasty graphite like stuff I used to use on m/c chains then I wouldn't use it. Isn't graphite and bronze bushings a no-no? Seems I recall that from somewhere in my cobwebs!

Direct from Bel-Ray:

"Bel-Ray Chain Lube does not contain graphite. The Bel-Ray SuperClean chain lube is an emulsion type chain lube that goes on white and lubricates the rollers, plants and sprockets. SuperClean will not fling off and does not attract dirt."

Now what do you think? To me sounds pretty good and frankly my exparience with using it other applications, it would seem to work very well. Still would like other thoughts.

Doug

Guest MidTNDawg

My question deals with the front bushing, the one by the fan which the manual calls for oil through the 2 holes. Probably not worded well, clearly. Doug

Maybe I am confused so bear with me but the front bushing does ( or is supposed to ) have an oiler, it is a spring loaded ball bearing fixture. The manual is not in error. Most people remove this fitting and place a grease in its place and use the water pump grease mentioned I believe.

Guest MidTNDawg

OK, kinda, sorta, seems no opinions on the lube. Guess I close this with I will let you know how it seems to work.

Doug

I wouldnt use anything else but what is already being used, I think that is why there has been nothing said, noone wants to have any blame

Guest DodgeKCL

If you look up an antique Ford outfit like Mac's in Tonawanda NY they sell a grease gun cartridge of water pump lube/grease. I use it in all my CPDD vehicles. Yes it has the ugly blue oval on it but we just have to grin and bear it.

Guest MidTNDawg

Jason, very good point. However in the case of this particular pump I'm not sure of what has been used recently other than the oil I used. It will be interesting to look at the pump on its way to me and see what I can detect. Also, can you help with rebuild info? I have decided I will try to do the rebuild myself. Diug

If you are going to rebuild it than it prob. does not matter what has been used in the past but chances are the only thing it has seen is water pump grease, most people wouldnt consider using anything but what is supposed to be used because there is no point in taking chances.