Rough running 47 LC

Iain M.

Finally got my 47 Continental running nicely - freshly rebuilt distributor & coils (by Jake Fleming), new carb kit installed, new spark plugs, new condensers, Skip Haney water pumps, new voltage regulator -it was running great.

Took it out Sunday to a local car club tour & barbecue. It ran like a top going there, but started running really rough once we arrived. It will idle really smoothly, but give it just a little gas & it starts to get rough. It’s ok on hard acceleration, but bucks at cruising speed.

Someone thought it might be running a little lean, as pulling the choke slightly seemed to help a bit. Pulled the carb yesterday & took it over to our club’s expert. He took it apart & said everything looked good. Put it back on & got no improvement.

If any of you have an idea of where I should look for the problem, I’d sure appreciate hearing it.

Thanks. Iain

What sometimes happens on start up with a "dry" fuel sytem is you get a rush of fuel thru the pump and lines and a small piece of "crude" may come loose and wash into the carburetor bowl and then find it's way into one of the jets. This has happened to me.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

Turn light off and run engine, look at wires and looms for blue arcing..chk each wire. carefully pull off chk for spark.. eliminate ignition as issue..takes 30 seconds..then, if determind to be fuel, your most likely gonna pull top off carb...and ..look at glass sediment bowl on fuel pump..heavy metal is supposed to drop to bottom ..First step is to properly diagnose issue so you dont make more trouble by fixing what aint broke. Most often ignition drops off on load...fuel issues will show during higher rpm, no load.. listen to carb..think of paint sprayer with crap in nozzle..same principle fuel must be evenly atomized..

Iain, Could be loss of spark on six cylinders or weak spark, we found that by pulling spark plug wires one by one you may find three on one side and three on other with either little or no spark. Will still run smooth at idle, could be points, condensor, or one side of coil. Good luck

Guest V12Bill

I had the same type of problem with my Zephyr last Fall and it turned out to be the coil. Have you had it rebuilt. I know the coil usually has to be warmed up to give trouble, but mine did it full time.

Re-cleaned the carb & got it back to running smoothly... for a little while. I believe I still have a lot of junk in the fuel tank, as the 'new' fuel filter was pretty dirty. Will pull it out & have it cleaned & sealed. That should do the trick.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll no doubt need it again!

Iain