1936 LaSalle Valves-Oldsmobile?

Guest JB 36 LaSalle

Guest JB 36 LaSalle

Good evening all,

Finally took the head off our 1936 LaSalle (straight 8) to change the head gasket and it looks like I will need some valves, both intake and exhaust. The intakes are 5-9/32 long over all with a 1.562 diameter head, a stem diameter of .342 and a 30 degree seat angle. The exhausts are 5-9/32 long overall with a head diameter of 1.421 a stem diameter of .342 and a 45 degree seat angle.

I am not sure if 1935-1936 Oldsmobile valves are the same or not. I called EGGE today and then can make them but I was a little disappointed with the attitude of the fella I spoke to, maybe he was having a bad day. Anyone with any thoughts as to where i can get some valves or have some made? Also, are they the same as Oldsmobile? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Guest JB 36 LaSalle

Hi Charles, Oh the blasphemy! An Olds in a LaSalle? Just kidding. Yes, the LaSalle block is based on the 35-36 Oldsmobile and the blocks may interchange but so far, that and the cam bearings and the rod and main bearings are about the only parts they share. I haven' been able to compare the valves yet. The cranks, pistons and head gaskets are different and will not interchangeable. While the Olds intake and exhaust manifolds as a set will bolt to the LaSalle block, they are of a different design. 35 and 36 Olds/LaSalle are kind of stand alone when it comes to parts interchange, nothin else fits!

Do you remember when GM was sued back in the early 1970's for putting the very reliable Chevy 250 six cylinder in the Oldsmobiles? Something about not disclosing to the customers the fact that they didn't have Olds engines.

Thanks for your reply Charles, I appreciate it. Jim

[

Do you remember when GM was sued back in the early 1970's for putting the very reliable Chevy 250 six cylinder in the Oldsmobiles? Something about not disclosing to the customers the fact that they didn't have Olds engines.

I thought the suit was over putting 350 cid Chevy V8's in other brands; Olds and possibly Buick.]

hi, how well i remember, a neighbor of my mother had bought a brand new 1974 buick apollo 2 door coupe, and i told him, he could get horsepower out of the chevy 350 V8 it came with, he swore up and down that it was a buick 350 V8. i told casey, look if the distributor is back by the firewall, it's a chevy, if it's right behind the water pump, it's a buick. man was he angry, and went back to the buick dealership, and made them put in a buick 350 V8. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest JB 36 LaSalle

Yes Charles, in 1933 when GM decided to continue building the LaSalle using the design Harley Earl's boys came up with, the Cadillac and LaSalle motors were physically too big to fit in the new bodies. I think that they literally took an Olds engine, cast a new head with the LaSalle logo on it and installed a newly configured intake and exhaust. In 1935, I believe the Cadillac motor was still too big but in 1936, the Model 60 Caddy came out with a smaller motor that could have fit in the LaSalle as the body shell and the hood are basically the same for Model 60 and LaSalle. So in 35, the motor for use in the LaSalle was revamped with just enough changes to set it apart from the Olds engine, which is very reliable. I'm glad they used the straight, it's a smooth running engine.

There must have been some talk at the time about the LaSalle motor being an Olds unit because in one of the brochures I have shows the factory where they are made and stresses that the LaSalle is all LaSalle and made by the Cadillac division of General Motors. They were very protective of the Cadillac image and of the poor man's Caddy, the LaSalle, image too. So concerned in fact that in my shop manual for 1936 Cadillac and LaSalle, you are instructed to send the center section of the rear back to the factory if it needs servicing other than seals. There are no instructions at all in the manual as to how to set it up or adjust it.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Getting back to the original subject; any credible "real" automotive machine shop should be able to solve the valve issue if all the specs are available or even a half decent example of both intake and exhaust valves are available to them. I've had new stainless valves for older engines done at a very reasonable cost per valve by a machine shop that builds up engines for bracket racing.

Jim

Guest noncompos

FWIW, a 1936 King Prod catalog (piston ass'blys, valves, bearings etc) shows:

LaSalle 1935 #3550 Exh their V-1004, Int their #V955N;

1936 # 3650 Exh # V1029, Int #V955N...

Olds 1935 L35 8cyl Exh #V954, Int #V955N;

1936 L36 8cyl Exh #V1029, Int #V955N...

Guides, springs, keepers the same all four models...

I'm not familiar with these models so don't know if these yours or not...

Specs in that catalog:

V954: Head diam 1 7/16; Stem length 5 7/32; Stem diam .341, Lock 2 groove;

V955N 1 9/16; 5 7/32; .342; 2 groove;

V1004: 1 13/32; 5 7/32; .341, 2 groove;

V1029: 1 27/64; 5 7/32; .340; 2 groove (no face angles stated).

Guest JB 36 LaSalle

Thanks noncompos. According to the King Product Catalog then, the 36 Olds and 36 LaSalle valves should interchange for sure. The 35 LaSalles were a Model 350 and the 36 LaSalle, Model 50's.

Thanks for looking that up and posting the part numbers. This site is great, lots of friendly and helpful people!