Heater issues in a '63 Riv

Guest auctionguy

Guest auctionguy

Hi: I have a '63 Riv with a 401 nailhead with air. The heater control is disconected at the dashboard so I am unable to adjust the heat settings from inside the car. Can anybody tell me how to do it from the engine compartment? Thanks from a shivering Canuk.

There is a cable controlled water valve on the firewall by all the AC stuff, but it is probably rusted and will not move. That is probably why the control is disconnected, the diecast part of the cable housing snaps because the valve won't move. The one on my car was locked wide open so I had heat all the time, great in the Texas summertime.

Guest auctionguy

Thanks. There is a cable controlled valve near the firewall. I can move it but it has no effect. It must be broken inside. I will take it off and check it out. Thanks again.

If you find that the valve is broken you'll also find that new ones are made of unobtainium. Jim Cannon has written a tech article on replacing the manual valve with a later model vacuum valve that uses existing vacuum lines to the heat doors. You can find it in the Tech Tips section on the ROA's website.

Ed