1966 Wildcat GS Inquiry

Guest BJM

There is an ad in this month's Bugle Cars for Sale; a member is selling a 1966 Wildcat GS and says it is a "Y-48 with A-9" option.

I checked my Standard Catalog and it does not mention these specific option codes as expected. And no mention of a 1966 Wildcat GS, also as expected.

Can anyone with more information share what Y-48 and A-9 options mean?

hello, according to the '66 accessory and option list dated 10.29.65 (obtained from the sloan museum in flint):

the wildcat GS (425 single quad) was RPO/UPC Y48, sales code A9.

the wildcat GS (425 dual quad) was RPO/UPC W14, sales code A8.

the non-GS wildcat (425 single quad) was RPO/UPC L75, sales code A7.

Mark

BCA 14421

hello, according to the '66 accessory and option list dated 10.29.65 (obtained from the sloan museum in flint):

the wildcat GS (425 single quad) was RPO/UPC Y48, sales code A9.

the wildcat GS (425 dual quad) was RPO/UPC W14, sales code A8.

the non-GS wildcat (425 single quad) was RPO/UPC L75, sales code A7.

Mark

BCA 14421

Mark & Sean

I appreciate the clarification. I think, according to the Bugle ad, this is a single quad 425. I would have to say that IF it had the 425 dual quad motor it would be long gone by now (and it may be - as Bugle ads are not quickly cancellable)

I wanted to add, that if it was the A8 dual quad, then regrettably there would be some that would part this car out.

The ad has little information so we don't know how bad of shape the car is in. However, these were rare to begin with and one year only. The GS option even as a single 4 barrel - was impressive. You get the posi trac, which I think is a 3.42, stiffer suspension and so on.

The difference performance wise between a single 4 barrel and the 2x4 engine was nominal on paper but HUGE for show-ability. Everybody wanted a 2x4 and still does.

I am probably mistaken but I am not sure the 425 was available in the non GS Wildcat. If it was-then I doubt there were many made. I would have thought most 66 Wildcats came with the 401.

I almost called the member posting the ad. Having a 66 GS with the 2x4 motor, switch pitch tranny and posi, especially if it had buckets and console - would have been a bargain for the $2100 he wants.

It makes little difference to me that it "only" has the single four barrel. Still a neat car. If someone calls on it, it would be nice to know if it is a bucket seat console custom interior car.

I am not a fan of the bench seat cars. It's a Wildcat GS-should have buckets/console, in my opinion.

I have known the owner of this car for many years. He purchased the car new.

You are correct that this car has the single 4-bbl 425. The GS, of course, had a chrome air cleaner and the finned valve covers, but a 4-bbl 425 was also an available option in non-GS Wildcats and in the Electra 225.

This car is a model 6437, so it is the standard series Wildcat with bench seat interior -- not the fancier 6637 Wildcat Custom with either notch-back bench seat or buckets.

I have known the owner of this car for many years. He purchased the car new.

This car is a model 6437, so it is the standard series Wildcat with bench seat interior -- not the fancier 6637 Wildcat Custom with either notch-back bench seat or buckets.

Still, at $2100 an impressive rare car. Would be nice to see it get passed down to a BCA member.