What was "The Oldsmobile Club"?

Old28

Because I have a vintage Oldsmobile a fellow restorer gave me this older car badge some years ago. See attached image.

The badge is red enamel on brass, the shield part is 2-1/2 x 3-1/4 ins. , the words "The Oldsmobile Club are on a white enamel stripe. On the back is stamped the number '16'

I would like to know where, when and what was "The Oldsmobile Club" that it was for.

Anybody know more about it?

Regards

Old28

from Australia

post-73403-143138434778_thumb.jpg

A bit of information that we found last night, I thought other Forum readers might find it interesting. From an article by Harry Pulfer in Car Classics April 1972, Oldsmobile Emblems and How to Identify Them –<O:p</O:p

The Oldsmobile crest, as seen on 1929 and later models, on a field of red and gold, the elements in the crest depict, in the language of heraldry, some characteristics of the company:<O:p</O:p

• a winged spur, symbol of fleetness, representing the harnessing of horsepower and development of transportation
  • 3 acorns, representing the historical position of Oldsmobile ... from which the automotive industry branched out and grew
  • Oak leaves, symbols of strength and sturdiness, symbolic of the industry, the strength of Oldsmobile and the parent corporation GM
  • the lamp of knowledge, representing the brain and research power of the company
  • the flame of the lamp represents the continuous research work of Oldsmobile engineers
  • the micrometer and the triangle flank the lamp, representing exactness, precision and craftsmanship.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Made me look more closely at Oldsmobile badges – and it’s all there exactly as Harry Pulfer said.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Regards <O:p</O:p

Old28<O:p</O:p

Guest Jim_Edwards
Because I have a vintage Oldsmobile a fellow restorer gave me this older car badge some years ago. See attached image.

The badge is red enamel on brass, the shield part is 2-1/2 x 3-1/4 ins. , the words "The Oldsmobile Club are on a white enamel stripe. On the back is stamped the number '16'

I would like to know where, when and what was "The Oldsmobile Club" that it was for.

Anybody know more about it?

Regards

Old28

from Australia

I know nothing about the "badge" in question, but I do find it most interesting that the general shape is that of the Cadillac Crest/Emblem circa 1912-1917, as seen below.

original-Caddy-Crest.jpg

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Still looking for info on that Oldsmobile Club badge and found this:

Feb 18, 1940 - appointment comes as a result of his excellent sales record In 1939 The Oldsmobile club is a national society conducted by tho Oldsmobile factory in honor of outstanding salesmen Membership in the club is limited to salesmen who qualify with a designated sales volume

From Salesman Here Is Made Officer In Oldsmobile Club . Milwaukee News-Sentinel.

Anyone know what the plaque and emblem mentioned in that 1940 neswpaper article look like - could one of those be my elusive Oldsmobile Club badge?

• 1 year later...

If you obtained this badge in Australia then you have certainly stumbled on a piece of Australian Oldsmobile history here.

This is a badge that was typically mounted through the radiator cap in Australia and its from "The Oldsmobile Club" which was formed in Sydney (Australia) back around 1929. I've got a number of extracts from a NSW based auto magazine called "Motor Life" that recorded their events. The club lasted through certainly as far as 1931 but I've never seen any further details of it in any Australian auto mags beyond that. If your interested in more info, contact me through the Oldsmobile Club of Australia website and I'd be happy to send you copies of what info I have. Oldsmobile Club of Australia, Official web site

If you look closely at your badge, they have certainly tried to copy components of the Olds Shield badge that came out in 1929 (you can see the acorns in the lower right and a poor attempt at copying the wings in the upper left of the badge).

Would certainly love to see some more pics of it some time, as I'm a bit of an Aussie Olds historian. Cheers

Edited by AussieOlds (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
If you obtained this badge in Australia then you have certainly stumbled on a piece of Australian Oldsmobile history here.

This is a badge that was typically mounted through the radiator cap in Australia and its from "The Oldsmobile Club" which was formed in Sydney (Australia) back around 1929. I've got a number of extracts from a NSW based auto magazine called "Motor Life" that recorded their events. The club lasted through certainly as far as 1931 but I've never seen any further details of it in any Australian auto mags beyond that.]

Thanks AussieOlds, sorry it's taken so long for me to reply on the Forum, had a major computer disaster a little while back. Your info answers the question well for me as the badge was handed to us by another vintage car enthusiast here in Sydney.

I have traded it with a local badge historian, writer and collector in swap for a rare Australian 1950s touring badge that I had been searching for for one of our cars for many years. The Olds badge is now in a well curated collection and I have passed on to its new owner all the info you provided, which he very much appreciated.

Cheers

Old28