1913 Buick Coolant

Guest dnoz

I have a 1913 Buick, live in Florida and use distilled water mixed with NALCOOL. Is there a better choice - can I use a 50/50 antifreeze or some other coolant that will better handle the heat? Thanks in advance.

Guest carlnut50

I have been told that Water Wetter reduces the surface tension of the water thereby allowing more molecules to contact the engine block. This in turn conducts more heat away from the block to the water and also more heat from the water to the radiator tubes.

It is my understanding that anti-freeze ( ethylene-glycol ) has less ability to carry heat than water does. Due to this, when it came out in common usage the water pumps and passages were increased in size to accomodate more flow to still transfer the same heat load. It is important therefore to use as little antifreeze as possible in a system not sized for it, just enough to keep from freezing or none if that is not an issue. Yes it raises the boiling point but that is not useful if the engine cannot export the heat ( that is the reasoning behind the 70% maximum labeling on the anti-freeze container). Your current choice is good, there are some non-water coolants on the market that are supposed to " increase heat conductivity" but I am not clear on whether that refers to better than water or better than 50/50 water/ ethylene-glycol.