new exhaust struggles

Guest ballmon

Guest ballmon

I am struggling to find new exhaust pipes and muffler for the 1990 Reatta.

I can get the 1990 Riviera parts but I notice the muffler is not exactly the same on a mounting bracket on the inlet side. And some muffler shops want $500 to do the whole job.

So, I want to stick with the Reatta muffler (which I can get) and then piece together the rest of it.

First does anyone have pipes for sale to accomplish?

Second, does anyone know the part numbers and distributor/s to accomplish this?

Third, should the Riviera parts from the exhaust to cat fit this (less the 8 inches of length)?

Fourth, was the muffler stainless orginally?

Thanks, Barry

Edited by ballmon (see edit history)

Dull facts first...... I presume you have a 1988-1990 Reatta which has a 2 1/4 pipes (only 7% of Reatta production was 1991 which had 2 1/2 pipes)

The Riviera parts are the way to go. Everything from the engine exhaust flange will fit your Reatta (minus) the 8 inches of extra length which needs to come out of the section under the seat area.

Since you can get a Reatta muffler (many owners are using Camaro mufflers because they cannot find Reatta mufflers) you are good there. I do not know if the entire muffler is stainless but the literature says "stainless" exhaust. Unless the tailpipes are bent, they can be used over on the new system.

Barney: If one looks up a 84-88 Century, there are some twin outlet mufflers that would appear similar to the ones in the 88-90 Reatta. That is, 2 1/4" in, and twin 2" outs (with both outlets on the same end.) Some aftermarket ones are: AP Exhaust 700091, Dynamax 17755, and Walker 18408. Would these be good recommendations? One negative is that they don't appear to be stainless. I'd worry about mixing metals.

If someone has one of these cars with dual outlets, please measure the ports and overall length. There could be other mufflers out there but we don't have the dimensions.

There is a slight difference between the 1988-1990 muffler (22 1/2 inches long case) and the 1991 has a 24 1/2 inch case. Most of the Camaro replacement mufflers are about 19 inches but they are common and made by lots of muffler companies, so lots of Reatta owners have been using the Camaro muffler.

I have the muffler and tail pipe that was cut off of one of the donated cars that only had 1500 miles on the clock. It is cut off just behind the cat coverter and the paint has not even been burned off. I have had it in the garage for years and I have never had a use for it. I guess someday but who knows. They say if you have a spare part you will never need it Call me a packrat

Guest ReattaFan1

I had this work done just the other day. I went to Midas. Within 3 hrs time this is what I paid on the car and out the door. Initially, I went to see if they could just do a mend job on the intermediate pipe. They tried to patch it up but the pipe was just too thin. So I had them re-pipe from the converter back. They have a cad pipe bender for most the work they do. They can order the Rivera pipe kits for the Reatta but that would have taken days longer. On the muffler, they gave me the choice of the one or dual tailpipe. I chose just the one to keep the cost down. For now, I can always get one of those single to dual tailpipe chrome pieces for the "stock" look. $255.75 isn't all that bad. Im pretty happy. The clearance on the pipes are perfect. if it wasn't for the single tailpipe I'd say it amost looks stock. Now the car is quiet.

If you notice there is a $111.35 discount labeled at the bottom before the total. The cashier knew my story of being unemployed so she threw it in to keep my total down, I didn't ask for it she just threw it in. The only discount I went in with is the $20 off coupon Here ⇒ http://midaslocator.com/offers_print.aspx?offerID=19992&dmaNum=656&l=en-US&m=US&language=en-US&from=dma

So if your total is different then mine ask if they can match my total. Print off a copy of my receipt to take it in with ya ツ Of course if you choose the dual tailpipe it's going to be a little more, Im not sure how much. Oh, and the mufflers hold a LT warranty.

sc000545a2.jpg

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

Guest ReattaFan1

It took them just under 3 hr's and struggle free... 3 Hr's was my total time from the time I got there to back out the door. Much better than the headaches of ordering the pipes wondering if they'll fit. Not to mention all the flanging, and the cutting, Did I cut off enough, did I cut it too short? Yikes!!ツ I was considering on doing the work myself but I have to say this is one of the job's better left to the professionals.

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)