54 Chrysler Station Wagon Rear Bumper

daledon

I can't answer that particular question - but, here are some photos of a wagon like yours that I owned for 9 years and sold in 1999. I really like these cars, but I have found there is nearly zero collector interest in these models. Wish it wasn't so, but...........

Anyway, here are some pics, including a view that includes the rear bumper.

Als54Chryslerwagon05.jpg

Als54Chryslerwagon01.jpg

Als54Chryslerwagon02.jpg

Als54Chryslerwagon03.jpg

WOW, That is a nice wagon! They usually are so rusty!

The rockers were toast on this one - you can't tell it all that much from the photos since the moldings cover them. But, that was the ONLY rust on the car.

Talk about a rare beast - here are some pics of a 51 NY wagon - extremely rare with a 131" WB - the 51 Saratoga & Windsor wagons had 125" WB. Only 251 NY wagons were produced in the 51 model year, none in 1952. In 53-54, the NY wagon returned on a 125" WB. This is my uncle's car - doesn't look this good now after sitting outside for nearly 10 years.

Jacks51Chryslerwagon02.jpg

Jacks51Chryslerwagon01.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest johnl300
There is a restored 1951-2 New Yorker wagon in Spokane Washington. Real nice car with non original Kelsey Hayes MoPar wires on it. Red lower-upper beige top. Years ago saw a beige 1952 NY wagon here in the Seattle area- it disappeared one day. Maybe it's the one in Spokane!

Bob

I am the previous owner of the Spokane '51 NYer T&C. Yes, this is the rarest wagon Chrysler ever built I believe. '52 versions of this were a shorter wheel base.

When I owned it the color were a light grey top with a metallic grey body. This car had (possibly still does) a 392 hemi with dual quads and a TroqueFlite. It flew!!

There is quite a story about me finding the car here in SoCal and should anyone want to hear it just let me know. To this day this is one of the few cars I regret selling, but have replaced it with a really nice '55 NYer T&C with some Hollywood history.

The Spokane '51 was for sale and I looked at it, but have to many cars and not enough $$ and storage. If the latter two items were to change I'd go after it. ;)

Guest johnl300

There is a restored 1951-2 New Yorker wagon in Spokane Washington. Real nice car with non original Kelsey Hayes MoPar wires on it

Wire wheels were a factory option from 1953 through 1953 with Chrysler. They were not made by Kelsey Hayes, but by MotorRim & Wheel. The Imperial 5.5" pattern used 52 spokes as opposed to the NYer 4.5' pattern that used 48 spokes. Also, the Imperial/Station Wagon wheel was wider.

A couple of photos attached. In grey when I owned it and as it looks today in burgundy.

post-75724-143138541587_thumb.jpg

post-75724-14313854159_thumb.jpg

Guest johnl300

Wire wheels were a factory option from 1953 through 1953 with Chrysler

CORRECTION: It should read 1953 through 1956.

There is a restored 1951-2 New Yorker wagon in Spokane Washington. Real nice car with non original Kelsey Hayes MoPar wires on it

Wire wheels were a factory option from 1953 through 1953 with Chrysler. They were not made by Kelsey Hayes, but by MotorRim & Wheel. The Imperial 5.5" pattern used 52 spokes as opposed to the NYer 4.5' pattern that used 48 spokes. Also, the Imperial/Station Wagon wheel was wider.

A couple of photos attached. In grey when I owned it and as it looks today in burgundy.

I have a question, and I hope you know the definite answer. Did Chrysler actually produce a New Yorker T & C Wagon in 1952? I have been under the impression that the 131.5" wheelbase NY Wagon was produced ONLY in 1951. The Standard Catalog of American Cars states that 251 of these wagons were produced. I'm not able to find a listing for 1952 NY wagons - I can find Saratoga & Windsor - both of these had 125.5" WB. The Saratoga had a Hemi V8 engine, while the Windsor had a flathead 6. Your previous post mentions a 1951-52 NY Wagon, and that piqued my curiosity.

I mean, I guess it doesn't really matter that much. I'm fairly interested in automotive history of this period and I'd just like to find out if I've been mistaken in thinking there were no 1952 NY wagons.

I have a question, and I hope you know the definite answer. Did Chrysler actually produce a New Yorker T & C Wagon in 1952? I have been under the impression that the 131.5" wheelbase NY Wagon was produced ONLY in 1951. The Standard Catalog of American Cars states that 251 of these wagons were produced. I'm not able to find a listing for 1952 NY wagons - I can find Saratoga & Windsor - both of these had 125.5" WB. The Saratoga had a Hemi V8 engine, while the Windsor had a flathead 6. Your previous post mentions a 1951-52 NY Wagon, and that piqued my curiosity.

I mean, I guess it doesn't really matter that much. I'm fairly interested in automotive history of this period and I'd just like to find out if I've been mistaken in thinking there were no 1952 NY wagons.

Chrysler did not produce a 1952 New Yorker wagon.

Guest johnl300

I've checked two reference books I have and see no listing for 1952 in NYer T&C wagons. So I guess there were none, but they did return for the 1953 model year built on a 125.5" chassis. I've seen a couple of '52 Windsor wagons but never a Saratoga.

I've checked two reference books I have and see no listing for 1952 in NYer T&C wagons. So I guess there were none, but they did return for the 1953 model year built on a 125.5" chassis. I've seen a couple of '52 Windsor wagons but never a Saratoga

Back in the 60s, a relative owned a 52 Saratoga wagon, and it was my memory of this car that made me want to own a wagon of this style. In the late 90s, I looked at a 52 Saratoga wagon in eastern Penn. that was a major restoration project.

But, there sure aren't many of these around, are there? Even less common are the DeSoto and Dodge wagons of this style.