1955 Plymouth Savoy Engine Swap

Guest mfinn43992

When I and a friend has purchased a '51 Plymouth our of a local back yard, having been parked for many years, the service manager at the local Chrysler dealer (an OLD-LINE Chrysler product guy who remembered the Dodge Brothers cars) said that we could put pretty much anything in there we wanted. It was a 3-speed manual trans car and the bell housing bolt pattern was the same as the first-gen Hemi V-8s, which was the same as the first "A" motors and (I believe) the later "LA" 273/318/340/360 engine family. The '54 you have should be the same generation platform as the '51 was. In this case, we were talking about a, basically, bolt-in situation. The early Hemi V-8s were already out in '54 and in the larger, non-Plymouth, chassis vehicles.

One time, about 20 years ago, a guy showed up for one of our Mopar club shows with a 1930-something Plymouth coupe, with a 318 V-8 in it. He said it all bolted right in, using the stock transmission (which obviously was for a much lower horsepower engine!). Seems like some architectural "hard points" didn't really change over the years?

At Mopar Nats, there used to be a '55 Dodge 2-door hardtop that I saw up there. Had a 440 under the hood, TorqueFlite 727, and 8.75" rear axle. The engine was a tight fit, the driveshaft was from a mid-60s C-body of some sort, as was the rear axle (which was a tad too wide for the car--another tight fit for the stock size tires).

Rather than go full time gonzo in engine size, I think I'd stay more with either the original "A" motor or the later "LA" engine families. These lighter engines would not really upset the weight balance or get too far away from the capabilities of the original brakes. It would certainly make a nicer-driving vehicle that way. A nice 318 or 360, with a Carter 2bbl carb, might even work with a "period" oil bath air cleaner for a "stock" look and modern power.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

I hate to contradict NTX but a 1954 Plymouth is the last year that came as a six cylinder ONLY. A V8 will NOT fit without major butchery. Steering interference is the biggest problem.

The easiest engine to fit would be a 230 cu in Dodge flathead six. A DeSoto/Chrysler six will fit but it is longer and requires some mods to engine mounts and moving the rad forward.

The 230 is a very satisfactory engine with ample power for normal use. It is basically the same block as your stock 217 with a longer stroke crankshaft. In fact you could turn your 217 into a 230 if you had the long stroke crankshaft and matching connecting rods.

Note, if it is a Canadian made Plymouth the big Chrysler six will bolt in. Only Canadian made Plymouths are built to take the larger engine.

The later 54 Plymouths got the 230 engine from the factory and the engine can be identified by a star stamped on the block ahead of the serial number..I remember reading one article that if memory serves me correct, that while the bell housing bolt pattern may the same.. there was an offset issue..any upgrade here is going to be a bit involved..

Guest XmikeyX

Lets not forget the 241 Hemi and 259 Poly engines!!

I have mounted a 259 Poly from a 54 Dodge Pickup into my 53 Plymouth and the motor mounts were exactly the same. And if you can find the drivers side exhaust manifold used on 53-54 V8 Dodge's you will be able go over the steering box.

You will not have cut up anything. I didnt have to.

A friend of mine in Toronto has a 56 Dodge Regent with a 318 in it with the automatic behind it so i know it does fit in that,, and clears stearing and the rest ok

• 2 weeks later...

no Mopar V8 continued without change from the 50 through the 90's...the longest running V8 is the small block and it was a major change for the 67 production year to that of the recently introduced LA design of 1964..these engines have evolved a bit over the years themselves in the manner of engine mount as they are cast in the block..the introduction of them in Magnum form also made a few minor changes..

Guest CaptainGTX

I wouldn't want to encourage butchery, but a 241 (or 270) hemi should pretty much bolt in. I own a 53 Dodge Coronet convertible which came originallly with that engine. The shorter 114" wheelbase 53 & 54 Dodges (convertible, 2 dr hdtp & 2 dr wagon) were all built on what was essentially a Plymouth chassis. If that engine interfers with anything in your Plymouth, such as steering, it should be possible to swap out to a corresponding Dodge part.

Rich

53 Dodge Coronet convertible

69 Plymouth GTX

no Mopar V8 continued without change from the 50 through the 90's...the longest running V8 is the small block and it was a major change for the 67 production year to that of the recently introduced LA design of 1964..these engines have evolved a bit over the years themselves in the manner of engine mount as they are cast in the block..the introduction of them in Magnum form also made a few minor changes..

That is why I said "continued with modifications". The LA is physically smaller than the A due to the heads, the blocks are identical in size. So the newer model will fit in place of the older model but the older model will not necessarily fit in the newer model. Hope that is clear.

The original questioner said 1955 in his title and 1954 in his question. This makes quite a difference. The 54 was the last model to use a six cylinder engine only, and a V8 will not fit without moving things around. The 55 was the first model with a six standard, and a V8 optional. A newer V8 will bolt in with minor modifications but no major clearance issues.

Dodge had a V8 from 1953 and the frames were built accordingly. Plymouth as I said, did not get the V8 until 2 years later.