Convertibles

CBloomberg

I just saw the pictures Chrysler released of their new 200 Convertible. Its an update of the old Sebring line. Its nice to see a new convertible out there, but that one doesen't quite do much for me. I see so much more potential if Buick would bring out a drop top for either the Regal or Lacrosse line. That might convince me to buy one more new car!

How about it? Have any of you heard any scuttlebutt or rumors from GM?

PS It might be a back door way to get them to build a two door car again!

Chuck

Guest my3buicks

A quick and I would think wildly successful option would be to bring out a Buick version of the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Skye. These vehicles are wildly popular in my circle of friends and GM left them hi and dry when its time to trade into a new one. It would be a great way to get Buick something young and sexy to bring in new blood and come time for trade in a way to keep current owners in a GM car.

Considering that Chrysler basically reinvented the smaller-size convertible market with the K-car convertibles of the 1980s, they need to have something like that. Not to forget about tooling costs being spread out over more convertibles built. Unfortunately, most of the most recent convertibles (with sectioned hard tops) seem to make too many styling concessions in the rear section of the car to house the convertible mechanism.

The Solstice/Sky/Opel roadsters were what I'd call "Lutz cars" as he's most probably the reason they existed. They were not designed to be continuing models, but only to last a few years and long enough to probably pay for the tooling and such. The Solstice coupes looked, to me, like miniature Jag E-Type coupes, but were marginally more useable than the roadsters were. Unfortunatelly, both Saturn and Pontiac are "somewhere else".

When the CTS Coupe arrived, I suspected they might also have a Buick version, but that apparently is not going to happen. I guess it's more important to have a smaller Buick for the masses rather than a convertible Buick? But then, too, none of the current GM cars that might be candidates for a moveable top are NOT long enough to make the lines of the resulting convertible as sleeeeekkkk as they would need to be to justify the name "BUICK" being on them.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Guest my3buicks

This photoshop was done on a Saturn Skye and was posted on the Reatta forum - firmly believe something like this would do very well for Buick.

post-30591-143138415387_thumb.jpg

I don't think GM would go to the effort of producing a 2 door LaCrosse or Regal which would be necessary to make it a convertible ala the late G6 hardtop convertible. I could see them making a convertible out of the Cadillac CTS coupe, perhaps, but it really wouldn't be financially feasible for them at this time.

Buick, and GM as a whole seem much more interested in making "Mid-sized sedans" than anything else.

One would think that GM could only have but so many "mid-sized sedans" in their line-up, but I suppose not.

I was at a local can show a couple months ago, and the local Buick dealer brought out a couple of new models just to make them seen and such. It was a Regal, and a LaCrosse I believe. I had to step back, and look close at them side by side to see the barely visible differences.

I don't think GM is much into making anything they don't really have to, or want to. Every once and a while, they do something crazy (i.e. Buick Reatta, Mid-90s Chevy Impala, mid '90s Buick Roadmaster wagon, Chevy SSR pickup, Caddy XLR and the Sky/Solstice), but it's rare, and they don't last long at all.

The way GM is going right now, I feel doubtful that they'll do anything wild and crazy like that for a while now.

Perhaps "wild and crazy" would define the 557horsepower proposed Camaro Z28? Or current Corvettes and Cadillac CTS-V vehicles with that much horsepower? Of course, it's easier to transplant an engine than design/modify a vehicle to make it a convertible from a couple (a coupe with very substantial C-pillars, no less!).

In one respect, the fact that that much power can be made to be "emissions compliant" and still be reasonably fuel efficient is a testiment to how far engineering and design have progressed . . . especially considering the massive engines of the 1930s which only had about 150 horsepower. In order to get "wild and crazy", turning "OFF" the stability program is necessary.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

When I said "wild and crazy" I meant in the design aspect. Advances in engines are quite common now-a-days, and many sports cars that are in the market have 500+ HP.

If GM was to make that Camaro Z28 a hard top convertible, or something of that nature, I might consider that "wild and crazy", but what I'm really looking for is something that just makes you say "Why would they do something like that?". A BRAND NEW model. Something low production, completely different from other cars in their branch of GM in looks, and sorts of things like that.

If "we" said "Why would they do something like that? A new model!", you can imagine what the pundits would say about it. Obviously, the comments would be highly varied and highly depend upon what their personal orientation might be toward "cars". I found it interesting that, as it was reported, when the Obama Automotive Task Force staffers were previewing (for themselves, as obviously FEW had ever looked at GM vehicles before that assignment!) current and near-future GM vehicles, they were particularly interested in the current Cadillac CTS . . . enough that some thought these people would never get out of the cars, being highly impressed with them, apparently.

As for the "Why would they build that?" . . . I saw a listing of the future product plans for Cadillac and some of them might apply to that statement. Including a small "city car" with high fuel economy capabilities . . . think SMART with Lambo doors. Something like that might play really well (grins) in Post, TX.

New Camaro conv should be a "soft top", although Chrysler will offer the Chrysler 200 with a soft top and also the sectioned, metal top.

Enjoy!

NTX5467