sunroof gasket

Guest Bluesdaddy

Guest Bluesdaddy

Hi I am new here and hope this is the correct thing to do. Does anybody Know where I can get a new sunroof gasket for a 1985 Buick Riveria and a chrome strip that sits along the window right side. :cool:

Many thanks

Edited by Bluesdaddy (see edit history)

I checked the Steele Rubber Site www.steelerubber.com - Automotive rubber parts and weatherstripping for restoration cars, trucks and street rods., but I didn't see it offered, however in some cases, especially with a newer car like yours if you can provide one as a guide they will produce it and then offer it in their catalog. You may want to contact them of no one else is making reproductions yet.

Guest Bluesdaddy

Thanks for the info on Steele Brian I have sent them info and request. I also see they have bumper filler panels for my car. Does anybody know if these are a desent fitting set? I have read about so many of these not fitting well and I need complete sets front and rear.

Again thanks

Randy:cool:

The all important GM part # is: 20062590.

This weatherstrip fits many different GM cars of that era as they all used the same sunroof. I had a hard time finding an NOS one for my '84 Toronado (as of 2008 they were not made in reproduction). Finally a Chevrolet dealership in Georgia had one in their inventory. I gladly paid $110 for it...

Start by contacting Friesen Chevrolet Friesen Chevrolet. Give them the above part # and let them do a nationwide search.

Replacing the weatherstrip is not for the faint of heart. The sunroof panel must be removed from the vehicle. Since I was restoring the interior of my Toronado, I removed the entire sunroof assembly as the entire unit needed attention.

Another tip: Even though your weatherstrip may be shot and water is getting around it, this sunroof design has a water gutter and 4 drain hoses. The front ones run down the 'A' pillars and the rear ones run down at the rear of the roof. However, water may ALSO be getting between the glass and the metal trim which runs around the glass. Over time, the sealer between the two breaks down. I ran a thin bead of 3M black windshield sealer where the glass meets the metal strip. This stopped the residual water leakage.

Good Luck,

Paul

You can also register at Welcome to the PartsVoice Parts Locator which, with the appropriate OEM part number (sometimes, the casting number is the same as the part number, but not always) you can do your own parts search. As dealerships pay to list with Parts Voice, you might not get "total" coverage. GM dealership parts departments, through their OEMConnection, can do "in house" searches of other GM dealerships nationwide.

Be aware, though, that you need an ACCURATE GM part number as there is "no return" for discontinued parts you might purchase from a dealership . . . usually.

By observation, the factory sunroof seals were not quite as "robust" as they might have been, which could tend to result in leaks as the vehicles aged. I concur that checking ALL of the rain water drains is a good thing to do--IF the water goes out as it should, the job of the gaskets/seals is much easier to do. Also, doing ANYTHING to the sunroof is probably best done with the complete sunroff cassette removed from the vehicle.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467