6 V to 12 V converter

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

I'll have to do some power calculations. I want to see about getting around the need for a second battery as 31DH is using. I will check to see if the 2.1 amp is on 6V or 12V. 12 watts won't be much. I am getting a '30 DA and trying to line things up. Matter of fact I sent you a pm about the S-10 transmission / differential. Thanks for the reply. Doug

Guest Backyardmechanic

Hello '

one can install a GM one wire alt. with a int. reguator change the bulbs and u will be good to go as the 6 volt wire will take the 12 volt current You wll have to install a 12 volt battery of course

Guest MidTNDawg

Thanks. What about the starter? Any other components? Re: the wiring, yes I am sure the wiring is plenty heavy, i.e., the reason for change to 12V. Thanks again, Doug

Guest MidTNDawg
You can install a resistor to cut down the voltage. May b a diot would work too.

The part of your message not showing about limited crank time makes sense. Any idea of how much resistance the starter has? I suppose I could measure the amps the starter pulls and calculate the resistance couldn't I? Thanks a lot, Doug

Guest MidTNDawg

Hey, Doug. One thing I am looking for is learning all I can. Like being reminded of Ohn's Law just now. Also looking at options to run thing like GPS, weather band radio, and ?? Just trying to find and evaluate options. BTW, thanks for telling me about idrjoe. Also a fount of knowledge and willing to share it. Before taking any action I will be back on the board with anything I may be thinking about doing before doing it. Thanks for everything, Doug Barnes

• 3 months later...
Guest vyacht

i changed my 6volt to an 8volt battery in my 35 dodge all i needed to do was have the generater tweeked

ken

I just spent a week driving to and from San Francisco in my '51 Ford pulling our Trailorboat camper. 6 volt car. I carried a 12 volt battery in a plastic battery box. Ran my gps all the way every day, charged my laptop, cell phones etc. One day I plugged in a battery charger for a couple hours just to top it off. Was more than enough battery. I think next time I am going to buy one of the jumper batteries that has the built in charger and carry that with me. Much lighter, non spill, etc, and no more than the price of a cheap battery. And, somewhere I have a 6 to 12 inverter that I have had for years, where is that darn thing anyway?

Guest MidTNDawg

"I think next time I am going to buy one of the jumper batteries that has the built in charger and carry that with me."

Dave, a good idea! And you know what? I have a really good unit, and it cost . . . let's just say more than a cheap battery. The unit is a very good commercial grade. My answer has arrived! I don't know why I did not think of this sooner without any help. Thanks, Dave.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Doug glad you found your solution. Back to the original question of 6v to 12 v converter (actually an inverter), here is another website that sells inexpensive boosters and inverters that claim 4.7 to 5 amp output for NON-INDUCTIVE loads only i.e., radios, cell phones, gps=yes / MOTORS=NO!!

Antique Automobile Radio, modern stereo for vintage cars

Edited by idrjoe_sandiego (see edit history)

And, somewhere I have a 6 to 12 inverter that I have had for years, where is that darn thing anyway?

Hey Dave-funny you mentioned that. I just dug out my old ARCHER (Radio Shack/Tandy) inverter-probably the same one you have. Usually once you do find it, you'll realize you have the lost the instruction sheet like I did, so just in case, here it is:

post-54582-143138554576_thumb.jpg