1993 Buick Century Dimmer Switch

Guest anberlinrulez

Guest anberlinrulez

Hello all, I'm new here but I've been reading alot on here and you guys are an incredibly smart and helpful bunch of people. I have a problem I'd like to run by you guys and see if you can help. My 1993 Buick Century 3.3L V6 is having an electrical problem. The dash lights and tail lights don't work. The fuse is fine and all of the bulbs are fine. I've been reading extensively on the internet about this problem and I think I may have narrowed it down to the dimmer switch. I have another reason for believing it is the dimmer switch. When I purchased the car a year and a half ago I noticed that the dimmer switch didn't dim the interior lights. It only intermittently blinked the dash lights from on to off. On off kind of like morse code and it only ever worked at all at the highest(brightest) setting. What part(s) of the dash will I have to take off to remove the dimmer switch. Where can I get a replacement? How much will it cost and what are the chances that somebody who is somewhat versed in electronics be able to fix it? Thanks so very much for your time and patience in helping me with this problem.

-James D.

anberlinrulez@yahoo.com

Just spitballin' here, but you should be able to pop out the switch and jump out the wires and see if your lights return.

Given that the tail lights are out as well, I'm not sure the issue would be with the dimmer. Are the front parking lights working?

Do you have a factory service manual?

I don't have a Century service manual to look at the schematic, but based on similar GM car of the period, I suspect you have a bad headlight switch.

The dimmer itself should not affect the taillights

the taillight should not affect the dimmer, but both (I believe) are housed in the same assembly.

The good news is that mayby Olds and Chevy used the same headlight switch.

RockAuto Parts Catalog lists both dimmer and headlight switches for this car, including AC Delco parts. If AC Delco parts are available, your friendly neighbourhood GM dealer could get them, not to mention NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc. The positive in going to the GM dealer is that they may be able to assist you in troubleshooting suggestions as well. Of course, they'd rather do the repair for you in the first place, but it really depends on the philosophy of the dealer and the personality of the personnel you have a discussion with.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Dimmer switches start to do that when they age. Ive had several do the either on or off thing including the one currently in my Jeep. They normally do not affect the taillights. Now I believe your lights are turned on and off by a rocker style switch two buttons to push ... one turns everything on and the other just turns the parking lights on then you push another button that shuts off whatever you have on. This is very similar to the set up on Chevy pickups from 88-94. The light switches , not the dimmers, are notorious for going bad on these trucks and the most common problem when they go is that the parking and dash lights do not come on. I in fact have a switch just sitting on a shelf waiting for my 93 Chevy Truck cause I know its just a matter of time. I have also seen the same thing happen on similar year Firebirds that once again although designed to look slightly different function the same way and have the same problem as the chevy trucks. I would try replacing the dashboard switch assembly before doing anything else.

Hope this helps

Dan

Edited by Dans 77 Limited (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest anberlinrulez

Hey guys, thanks so much for your help. I happened to have another 1992 Buick Century that I've owned for a long time to take the parts from and I took the Headlight Switch off of it and replaced it with the one that was malfunctioning. It worked. I appreciate it. It looks like the very top contact shorted out and was heating up the plastic in the little headlight unit. I'll post a picture later. Thanks again.