Help with car ID and radiator emblem

Guest RPBrown962

Guest RPBrown962

Hi All,

Can someone help me with the make/model of this car? Also, any idea what the "X" grill emblem means??

The car looks like a 1916 or 1917 Buick Model 45 Touring Car to me but I'm not positive.

I've inherited a bunch of these old negatives from a family member. All were taken in western Washington state from about 1910 to 1930. I'm assuming these photos were taken around 1918 or so.

Thanks a bunch,

Rich

post-72306-143138380463_thumb.jpg

post-72306-143138380471_thumb.jpg

post-72306-143138380476_thumb.jpg

post-72306-143138381126_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPBrown962
Added photo (see edit history)

The car (especially the radiator emblem) looks to be an Oakland. The "X" may be for the "State of Jefferson" area between California and Oregon that people are still trying to separate from the states of Cal/Oregon.

Guest RPBrown962

Thanks a bunch guys. I added another photo that shows the rear of the same car. I thought I had definitely narrowed it down to a Buick (looking at the fenders, cooling slits), but you guys think it might be an Oakland??

Regarding the "X" on the grill, I think this probably predates the "State of Jefferson" movement. Also, the "Jefferson" symbol is two "X" 's, side by side.

Guest De Soto Frank

The Radiator badge looks like Oakland ( dark oval with a horizontal white stripe across the middle, bearing the name "Oakland" ).

Believe Buick had the name in an up-ward slanting script in this era ?

"Also, the "Jefferson" symbol is two "X" 's, side by side."

I always thought two "X"s side-by-side represented Ptomainia... :D

post-31225-143138381548_thumb.jpg

This is an Oakland Model 34 but whether it is a 34-B which was produced with little change from September 1917 to June 1920 (according to the book 75 Years of Pontiac Oakland) or a 1920-21 Model 34-C, which has a 3 inch longer wheelbase (115") and began in January 1920 and ran concurrent with the 34-B for 5 months, it is hard to say. The reason the hood looks short enough to be a four is that the Oakland six was quite small with a bore of 2 13/16 inch. From photos I have seen the engine is a close fit under the hood.