Shutter Thermostat Rebuild

Ovalrace25

I rebuilt the shutter thermostat for my '30 model L 10+ years ago myself with no problems. Ensure the bellows and housing doesn't have any leaks. I used a bright light test method to find the pin hole and repaired it by soldering it. I then did a leak down test at about 10 psi for several hours. Finally, the liquid I used was a dry gas product that included Methyl Alcohol. It is important to find and use Methyl Alcohol (wood alcohol) as the boiling temp is right (about 148 degrees F as I recall) for this application and you cannot use Isopropel (rubbing) alcohol. The dry gas I used was at a local drug store of all places, just check the ingredients. Fill the bellows/housing only half full, to leave room for the liquid to expand. I used a machine screw on the back (solder hole) with sealing washer vs soldering the hole shut. By making the fill hole with threads, it facilitated the leak down test. Test in a boiling pot of water several times.

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

Friartuck advised me on this forum several years ago to try his repair method on my USA Springfield Rolls~Royce Phantom I .

I in fact found a small split on the brass thermostat bellows can. Metal Fatigue, age & a stiff shutter linkage was the likely cause of the split here .

I used Methyl Alcohol as he stated and re-soldered the small split in the bellows .

This restored my Rolls~Royce's old winterfront shutter thermostat to 100% working condition.

Thank's to Friartuck's repair advise my old unit is working fine !

New or reproduction themostats are hard to find.

Some reproductions are in fact made~~But only for some few applictions. These cost from $350-$500 ~~~ If you can in fact find one !

I believe somewhere on this site there are thread/post mentions of a person who also repairs & re-fills these themostat units .

Search: Shutter Thermostat, Winterfront Thermostat, Radiator thermostat, Rolls Royce thermostat etc ~

Good Luck !

Guest wombvette
Jim Otto 1 865 9494

Repairs Refills & Calibrates these old liquid filled bellows style winterfront shutter thermostats~

Mr. Otto worked with, and I think retired from, the company that made them originally.

Steve, I heard this before about Corvair thermotats being a possible replacement, but I tried NAPA and several other parts houses with no luck - they didn't carry them, Do you have a suggestion as to what year Corvair would be best and where to get them? I had Mr. Otto repair mine and they've worked great since - But like everything else, someday they may need replaced and it'd be nice to have a backup.