Strange Hubcap ID?

Guest artmaker

Guest artmaker

At a recent social gathering I was asked if I could identify a strange hubcap. I could not with any degree of certainty, but I am sure somebody here will be able to do that. It was about nine or ten inches in diameter, and from the thickness and weight I’d guess it probably dates from the Forties or Fifties. Solid chrome finish, with the word MULLINS in capital letters approximately one-and-a-half inches tall, and All-Steel in smaller script at an angle across the center. The only Mullins I vaguely remember is a company that stamped metal auto body parts, and later fabricated boats (I think.) Could they perhaps have made trailers for the boats and used these hubcaps? But I am probably way off base. Any ideas? I could try and get a photograph of the unit if that will help. Thanks.

At a recent social gathering I was asked if I could identify a strange hubcap. I could not with any degree of certainty, but I am sure somebody here will be able to do that. It was about nine or ten inches in diameter, and from the thickness and weight I’d guess it probably dates from the Forties or Fifties. Solid chrome finish, with the word MULLINS in capital letters approximately one-and-a-half inches tall, and All-Steel in smaller script at an angle across the center. The only Mullins I vaguely remember is a company that stamped metal auto body parts, and later fabricated boats (I think.) Could they perhaps have made trailers for the boats and used these hubcaps? But I am probably way off base. Any ideas? I could try and get a photograph of the unit if that will help. Thanks.

Mullins were trailer manufacturers in the 40's and '50s, I believe. This was on a trailer in Shady Cove, Oregon a while back.

post-37352-143138377992_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest artmaker

Yes!! The photograph is the exact hubcap I am talking about -- except for the red paint. Thank you both for the information. I have since discovered that the Mullins Red Cap Utility Trailer was only built in 1936 and 1937. Click on this link for a photo and info posted by a museum group. 1936 Mullins Red Cap Utility Trailer 4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks again for the info and Merry Christmas to all.

The Mullins trailer owners club publishes the Red Cap Review, a great little newsletter and is a good source for info about the trailer. we've been in process of restoration on one for our 34 chevy, matching paint and all for a while. Ours has a tent that folds up on top of the luggage and unfolds when the top is open to make a camper of sorts. Neat Stuff!!