1918 Buick Touring

Guest FFRacer

Guest FFRacer

Hello All,

I am looking at purchasing the above car it's in what appears to be great shape in that it's all there... I think. My questions are: Is there supposed to be a front & rear bumper? Then on the floor directly in front of drivers seat is a small elongated hole what for? Not really sure how the dash or instrument cluster is supposed to look but it appears to be stock??

It has a 6 Cyl.OHV I am guessing this means it's the 7 passenger model?

Thanks so much for your help,

Chris

Chris, I have a1920 touring, My research of the era is that the Buick front and rear bumpers which mine has were a dealer option and not available from the factory.The six cly. engine was available in both the 6and7 passenger models. The 7 passenger models were longer than the 6 passenger model in length. I dont have the elongated hole, so I cant help you on that. Bill WEB 38

Guest knuckle head

The elongated hole may be a finger hole to facilitate removing the floor board in order to access the transmission. My '17 McLaughlin has a cast aluminum elbow attached thru the opening.

Henry

Chris

The seven passenger had a 124' wheel base. Th 5 passenger had a 118' wheel base.

Also the front seat on the 7 passenger was straight. Yours looks like a 5 seater

Model E-45 Touring, if there are no small folding done seats in the rear.

Rod

Guest FFRacer

yes it appears to be 5 seater there is however a folding footrest on the rear floor kind of like we had in church for the knees I guess after 60 MPH your passengers drop and pray? :-)

So help me out with price would 20k be out of line?? It runs, is clean, the paint is shiny but should be redone, it's not in the "Oh My Gawd!" shape.

At one point I think it was chemically dipped as there are some spots (dash around one of the gauges) were the paint appears to have simply not stuck to the bare metal?

It is a pretty cool carriage, Almost 100 years old. Although I am pretty good with the Fords values but am at a loss with something this old and with the Buick pedigree.

As always I appreciate your help and input,

Merry Christmas,

Chris

Chris, I think that you are dealing on the high end of the dollar spectrum in my opinion. In the past year or so I have seen nice, complete driver/parade examples going for around $12 to 15K. With said, I think that a restored #1 car would be in the $25K range.

There is a nice one on Ebay that you might want to take a look at. Buick : D-35 - eBay (item 260704480900 end time Dec-13-10 18:51:58 PST)

Guest FFRacer

Well I will see what happens... I am amazed at the low prices for these cars. It is an impressive car to look at for sure, but 35k??? I will make an offer and go from there. I am fortunate I hooked up with all of you, the information I gathered in a few days has given me the knowledge to keep me from making an expensive mistake.

Thank you-all,

Chris

Chris,The old car price guide has the #2 at $27230 and # 1 at $38900 That must be where he is coming from. Bill WEB 38

I think so, but price guides are statistically inaccurate for these and other rare models. Not enough actual sales to extrapolate the pricing and this leads to no sales and quiet reductions in pricing after long no sale periods.

Make an offer which you feel is fair - IMO - $17,000 and stick to it.

I've tried to buy a lot of cars in the past 3 years and been told "No" and moved on only to have those sellers come back to me 6-8 months later and say "Deal" - well, too late as I already had purchased another car.