So, a funny thing happened...

Guest i8thesandbox

Guest i8thesandbox

For the better part of a year my CRT screen becomes fuzzy after about 5 minutes of driving. All of a sudden, the screen has stayed sharp intermittently. Started about two weeks ago. I can go an entire trip with the CRT screen just fine, and then next time I start my car, it gets fuzzy again. Very weird.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Can be a sign that the sync circuits are starting to go in the CRT, or just a poor connection.

Only thing you can do is clean the signal connections in the rear of the CRT and at the other end at the CRTC and see if it helps. They are in the orange connector with 2 prongs. It is actually 2 coax cables that bring the horizontal sync and video signal to the CRT. Use some spray contact cleaner.

Believe the change in ambient temperature is causing it to come and go.

If cleaning the connections doesn't help, start looking for a replacement CRT if you haven't already.

Guest i8thesandbox

The screen becomes blurred horizontally, starting from the bottom and working itself about half way up the screen. Its done this since the first day that I have owned the car - about a year now. What I found interesting is that a few weeks ago, without provocation, the screen became perfectly still; no blur, no problems. This lasted about an hour, or the duration of that particular drive. The next time I drove the car, the screen blurred per its norm. However, since that first time, the screen has periodically become perfect - maybe half a dozen more times.

I simply found this is be odd and wanted to share. That said, it has made me wonder whether the CRT is going bad, as I originally considered, or whether its simply a case of a bad connection. Needless to say, I have not had a chance to pull the unit to investigate, but before I do, if anyone has a similar experience, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

On a side note, my dash lights also don't work - a classic sign of a bad photo cell, per the research that I have done on the forums here. Interestingly, the dash lights came on for a brief moment last week before turn off again. Chalk it up to the quirks of my car... its one of the things that makes it interesting!

Guest Richard D

Not sure about the dash lights, but from my TV repair days (back in the 1970s) I would say it is not the CRT but a bad connection as has been mentioned or a sync circuit in the monitor itself. By your post I take it vibration does not make it start or stop working? Not much help, sorry.

Guest 89Reatta

I have an 89 with a CRT that was replaced by the dealer I bought it from. Display is generally perfect and true but every once in a while is starts to shake from side to side from the corners. No blurriness, but looks like it is on a boat getting bounced around by waves. Related connection issue?

• 2 weeks later...

I read in a post on here a few years ago that the CRT's electron beam is affected by external magnetic fields in the environment around the car. This can cause the whole image the waver, similar to what you are describing. For some reason, this often happens when driving on a fly-over or over-pass - I have witnessed this many times.

If the wavering is happening while the car is still, then it is probably not due to an external magnetic field, but rather a problem internal to the CRT system.

From experience my two cents worth is the capacitors are weak inside the CRT unit and that is causing the tearing at the bottom. There are about 20 electrolytic capacitors in there and at this point I do not know which ones go bad.

You mentioned once your background lights came on. This tells me it is your headlight switch module that is bad and not the photo cell.

Again from my experience the two items that give the most trouble in the '88-89 Reattas is the CRT/touch screen and the headlight switch module.

I have good working CRT/touch screens but in your case since it is still working I would put up with the tearing until it quits.

I also have tested good working and appearing headlight switch modules available.

If you choose to send it off for repairs, Eddie Voland in Westminster MD has done them for other Reatta owners. His phone number is 443-536-9591

There are a few other places that repair the CRT's but most quote prices around $200 + while Eddie has been quoting $100 plus parts and shipping.

Guest ReattaFan1
Can be a sign that the sync circuits are starting to go in the CRT

For the DYI folks the 8 prong Ic-monitor Horiz Processor is available on backorder at MCM Electronics MCM Order #: NTE836 at only $3.08 It's the high failure part thats usually replaced during the refurbish. It's good to replace all the cap's as well. I'm ordering a few just to have on hand. You never know if the part will ever be discontinued. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/NTE836

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)