wheel info

Guest rls65rls

Guest rls65rls

hi, I'm looking for the stock backspacing and hub bore measurements for a 65 riv. I think there different than a 63 & 64. any help would be great!

The backspacing and offset are the same, but the '65 has a smaller diameter center hole in the wheel. You can use the 63/64 wheel on the 65 but not vice versa. If you do use the earlier wheel on the 65, the wheel will not rest on / be centered on the register ring, it will only be centered with the lug nuts.

Ed

Guest rls65rls

thanks rivnut, I learned something, but I still need the measurements because Im going with after market wheels and need the numbers, thanks

You'll find that the best way to buy aftermarket wheels is to take the car to a place that sells them and have them measure what will be the best fit. That's from the voice of experience. A lot also depends on offset, centerline, and the width and diameter of the rim, not to mention what size/ratio tire you want to run.

Be careful, Buick parts books also list a 5.5 inch wheel for the `63 and `64 Riv as opposed to the 6 inch `65 wheel. Dont know if this different rim width affects backspacing but I think it a likely possibility.

Ed raises a good point. Mock the actual wheel choices on the car to be confident you have made the right choice.

Tom Mooney

Isn't it also true that a 65 or later wheel...up to 69... will fit on any first gen if the register ring is removed? It's a direct bolt on even without the ring? I hope so because I knocked the register ring off a set of 69 wheels and mounted them on my 63. They look great and so far...I'm still rolling on all four. PRL

I have '67 wheels on my '63. I too knocked the register ring out. This is possible with the rally wheels, but not with the stock type steel wheels. The hub sized was reduced in '65 from what it was in '63/'64. By knocking out the register ring, the weight of the car is taken up by the lug nuts rather than the wheel center. I've never experienced any problems so far with this arrangement.

Rivnut-Where did you get your lug nuts when you converted your wheels? I'm still running the open faced steel nuts that came on the original steel wheels...which doesn't look ideal. I don't know if you converted the studs to revise the drivers side thread rotation? Ideally, I'd like to find chrome nuts that work with the standard 63 thread configuration. Any ideas? PRL