Can you ID the car in this old photo?

db34

That is a 1929 Stearns-Knight Series J-H8-90 Deluxe Eight convertible coupe with movie actress Lillian Roth (I'll Cry Tomorrow) posing. Only one of these cars is known to exist, and it is currently under restoration by owner Al Giddings (Abiss and Titanic co-producer).

I believe there is another one floating around Massachusetts. I have yet to track it down.

• 5 months later...

Packard did their wheels like that. This LaSalle also has wheels like that, but being a restored car, I don't know if it's correct. Looks good in my opinion. Looks better with black tires, as I'm sure you'd agree.

http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/1928-LA-SALLE-303-ROADSTER.jpg

No other "before" photos at this time.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

I think minus the whitewalls I would probably like the wheel treatment. Historically you would only see Stainless spokes with painted rims on v16 caddy but it seems to be spreading.

Do you know any of the history of this particular car?

Btw, the Lasalle looks good in the solid color.

Yes. That LaSalle is fabulous. I wanted to phogograph it at Hershey a couple of years ago, but ran out of time. The owner lives in California, so It'll be a while before I have another chance.

History on the Stearns coming soon to an Antique Automobile magazine near you.

I agree, needs black tires, and it could lose the truck lights, also. While we're at it, remove the grille guard.

As mentioned earlier, the painted rims with chromed or staineless spokes is the way Packard delivered them in the early 1930s. All chrome was very rare (but not today).

Yes. That LaSalle is fabulous. I wanted to phogograph it at Hershey a couple of years ago, but ran out of time. The owner lives in California, so It'll be a while before I have another chance.

History on the Stearns coming soon to an Antique Automobile magazine near you.

I agree, needs black tires, and it could lose the truck lights, also. While we're at it, remove the grille guard.

As mentioned earlier, the painted rims with chromed or staineless spokes is the way Packard delivered them in the early 1930s. All chrome was very rare (but not today).

I've come all the way around on chrome spokes. If I could get another set of wheels for my MB I would go with black & chromed weight covers. For many years chromed spokes with wide whites was de rigueur. I'm hopeful that is changing.