is it worth it?

Guest tecdoc

i am new to this forum and have recently purchased a 1989 yellow/ginger tc, the car does not run. the computer was disconnected and laying in the front seat when purchased. the interior is in poor shape, but everything is there. i have installed a new battery and the engine turns over but does not fire. i paid $500.00 for my tc and i think it has possibilities. i have restored older cars but never one this new. i guess my question is, have i walked off into a hole or is this car worth the restoration cost? ps. the hard top is with it and the rag top is trash

I bought my first TC to steal the powertrain out of for another project car I had. I put a battery in it and by the time I drove the 300+ miles home, the charms of the TC Maserati had hooked me. I would not have thought that this quirky little yellow car would bring me driving/ownership pleasure. That was 10 years ago, check my signature line now:cool:

Guest MB91560

I am new to this club and Alan know the TCs . I got my first 89 16 valve TC not running ,Yellow/ginger/tan to restore . Cost to date , Car $500.00 ,engine computer $350.00, fuel tank $120.00, fuel pump $150.00, battery $65.00, New tan soft top $650.00 . Cost to come tires , port holes windows to restore,new soft top head liner$250.00. I have restored a 1984 Mercedes 380SL total cost around $8,000.00 and a 1990 560SEC for about $10,000.00. I think it will cost me a bout $4,000.00 to do the 89 TC. I have a 90 V6 TC , Yellow/ginger/tan I got from West Texas in Sept for $800.00 . And it needs about $3,000.00 to be right. So I hope you stay with your TC. Bob

Guest My TC Toy

Tecdoc, Tc's are fun cars and certainly noticeable. Whether it is worth your while to repair or not is your decision obviously. The 89's had decent engines and trannys but they still had their problems. One good thing is that most powertrain parts were stock Chrysler. So first I would try to get her running, after that you can start other repairs if she runs good. Most parts can be had at you local parts dealer or on this site. You will find all kinds of helpful advice on this site as well, should you need it.

Good luck.

bob

thanks for all the input. after checking the threads on this site it is obvious that my little car has a loyal following. i am the 2nd owner and have all the original paperwork, including the window sticker and maintenance manual.the car has 102k miles on it. the last car i restored i drove for 18 years( 61 chevy ss 2dr ht) i really think i will enjoy bringing this car back to life. will be checking this site constantly..thanks..ron

Guest MB91560

Ron, Is your manual the service manual ? The blue service manual has your 8 v engine in it. When I worked on the Mercedes "S" body is very hard to get a good service manuals . I really like the manual that Chrysler has for the TC. So far most of the repairs I have done on my TCs using the TC manual have gone right . Ron for me bringing a car back to life is a joy. And this AACA site is one of the best . Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Is it worth it ? Hell yes I'm working slowly to relifeing my 89 16v I had to fly to Boston and bring her home on a trailer to Seattle. she started ran and stoped when I test drove it. I all ready have a 89 SOHC that I have had for ten years love this poor mans sporty toy!!!!!

cliffv

Is it worth it ? Hell yes I'm working slowly to relifeing my 89 16v I had to fly to Boston and bring her home on a trailer to Seattle. she started ran and stoped when I test drove it. I all ready have a 89 SOHC that I have had for ten years love this poor mans sporty toy!!!!!

cliffv

Nice:cool: Do I know you or visa versa? Other forum maybe? Boston?:confused: With as many as there are for sale on the west coast? I would have been glad to find you one a couple thousand miles closer to home:)

Alan

Thanks Alan:

I did not know about this forum I just joined TC of America: I have been watching the 16v for years on e-bay the few I found the $ was higher then what I had at the time. The Boston 16v was a friday night bid for 2000.00 with a complet parts car. did not even think I had a chance to win. in fact I forgot I even bid till I was told I one. What do you know of the average 16v $ out here on the West cost.

A friend have offered to sell me his 1989 TC automatic transmission ginger/tan. However, the car is not running and have been sent to 2 different chrysler dealers for repair. They found that it needs a computer module. He tried to order the parts online and had it installed but still did not run. I like the car but I was wondering how much would it cost to transport a car from to the Northeast from KS? Do you have any recommended car repair shops in the Northeast area that can repair a TC? Is a Chrysler dealer a good place to go for this kind of car? Any feedback will be helpful.

Thanks Alan:

I did not know about this forum I just joined TC of America: I have been watching the 16v for years on e-bay the few I found the $ was higher then what I had at the time. The Boston 16v was a friday night bid for 2000.00 with a complet parts car. did not even think I had a chance to win. in fact I forgot I even bid till I was told I one. What do you know of the average 16v $ out here on the West cost.

Ah, Tom Benvie's car.:cool: Prices are all over, I've paid $1500. for a non runner and my white TC came in at $9500. so there is a range. Condition condition condition as always. Oh, and timing;) Definately easier to find when you're not looking. Glad to have you here, did you join at Turbo-Mopar.com? There is this guy over there, 2.216Vturbo who posts tons of TC Masi stuff:D The hyphen in that name is critical BTY...

Alan

A friend have offered to sell me his 1989 TC automatic transmission ginger/tan. However, the car is not running and have been sent to 2 different chrysler dealers for repair. They found that it needs a computer module. He tried to order the parts online and had it installed but still did not run. I like the car but I was wondering how much would it cost to transport a car from to the Northeast from KS? Do you have any recommended car repair shops in the Northeast area that can repair a TC? Is a Chrysler dealer a good place to go for this kind of car? Any feedback will be helpful.

Welcome, you found an excellent resource for TC Maserati information. As to transport, I paid $1200. this year for an enclosed trailer from Fla to SoCal. Cheapest open transport I found was like $900.

As far as service/repair, at a dealership? No way, not unless there is the rage place that has an older service tech that remembers the TC's and is still willing. Not likely but never say never.

That Module is available thru www.turbosunleashed or FWDperformance.com or RDIperformance.com or wwwtcparts.com or... Get the idea? Lots of places when you know where to look:)

There is a network of capable Chrysler enthusiast guys who wrench for a living, PM me your location and plan so I can try to locate one of those guys for ya.

Alan

Guest MB91560

Alan, Do you know any guys that have TCs or FWD Mopar that are locate in central Oklahoma that I could wrench with . Oklahoma is not a big Mopar state . Bob

Alan, Do you know any guys that have TCs or FWD Mopar that are locate in central Oklahoma that I could wrench with . Oklahoma is not a big Mopar state . Bob

It will require a little digging Bob but you can pull out members from your area on this page. Or take it one step further, sign up, and post a question asking for like minded Chrysler folks near you. It's a great resource for all theing FWD Mopar:cool:

SDAC Chapters - Turbo Mopar Forums

Guest abweiss

I own a 89 cadillac allante, 90 buick reatta, 89 tc love my tc the most, hate the stiff ride and the cheap plastic in the allanta, the reatta always breaks and the tc gives you a beautifull and comfy ride, and everything you can tuch or see from the drivers seat is covered in leather or wood, has anybody notice the allantès dash? It looks like it wasn't done yet, when I bought it I tought it was missing trim parts

• 13 years later...

I'm late getting into this thread out to you but hopefully it is still good. I'd also like any other TC expert and mechanic to respond if interested. For background, I'm a semi-retired scientist, media artist and inventor.  I fell in love with the first TC I bought and decided it would be fun to do a "retromod" and then resell a few. I now own six. 

I've been customizing them a bit by blacking out the front grill and adding a more attractive Maserati badge inside the Chrysler pentangle.  I've added a thin black rubber strip on the underside of the chrome strips on the sides to complete the black line in front and back.  Opening and cleaning the opera windows and retrimming the hardtop to make it more watertight.  Light gray film on the headlights.  I'll be installing a 7" touchscreen for audio control and enhancing the existing speakers.  Finally I’ve interchanged tops of different colors to create two tone cars.  The existing colors are already retro. The different combinations look great together and they also draw your eye to the opera windows.  I can send pix if you’re interested.  It's a great car, but at age 35 it does have its quirks.

Problem is, I'm not an experienced mechanic and some of the issues I'm encountering are beyond my ken.  I need advice on issues such as the odometer repair, which I need for my own vehicle.  If someone is in Eastern Pennsylvania (I'm in Newtown Square PA 19073) and is interested in doing some work in exchange for a piece that would be good.  If this turns into a business, at that point I definitely will need a partner.

So, two questions: (1) please send the install instructions for the odometer, and (2) let me know if you, or perhaps someone else in my area is interested in looking at working together 

• Like 1