Help 55 olds info needed

gofasttoday

I have a 1955 olds holiday is it a 88 or a 98 ? the tag reads

style NO55-3037DX

body# L 4079

Trim 332

paint S331-60

I'm also missing the chrome off the trunk,I will include a picture of the trunk and the measurements.

What should be on the trunk? It had rocker moldings that are also missing .

I have not seen a picture of a 55 with these.

post-48117-143138357268_thumb.jpg

post-48117-14313835728_thumb.jpg

post-48117-143138357289_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim_Edwards

It is a "98" Holiday Coupe according to the code. Below is a correct '55 Olds 98 Holiday 4dr. Note there is no bright metal rocker molding.

The trunk trim on your car is quite attractive, but not correct. Actually it looks darn nice.

1956_Oldsmobile_98_Holiday_4_Dr_HardtopJan17b.jpg

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
Thanks

So I need the trim around the lock and the letters ninety eight to go where the holes are on the trunk. my car has the holes for rocker moldings. Is this a rear option?

Apparently your car started life as a 98 Holiday Deluxe. Exactly what made it a "Deluxe" beyond the rocker trim I'm not sure. Frankly I don't recall ever having seen a 98 with the rocker trim, not even back in 1955. In all candor you are probably going to have nothing short of heck trying to find the rocker trim, although there were Buick Roadmaster Rivieras and Cadillac Coupe DeVilles with similar trim which is probably the same as the large body GM cars had a lot of interchange.

Hopefully someone else will jump in here and give you a hand. Beyond that it's going to be a lot of looking and hoping on ebay, Hemming's ads, and calling the salvage yards in Arizona, Texas, Colorado, and Montana.

You may want to examine this link as it has a different twist on the trunk lid trim, but does have the rocker trim.

http://www.motorcarportfolio.com/product.php?id=3829

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

All 4 98 models in '55 came with rocker moldings, even the one in the photo further up the page. Look closely, they are there.

Also, all '55 98 coupes were referred to as DeLuxe. In '54 there was a standard and a DeLuxe. Standards had upholstery like the sedan. Deluxes had standard power windows and chrome roof bow moldings. For '55 the standard coupe was dropped. In '55 a Custom DeLuxe coupe was also offered. Those had all-leather upholstery, similar to the Starfire convertible.

You might try Fusick Automotive in CT for the trunk scripts. They had them at one time. I don't know if they are available anymore. It will be hunt and search for the rocker moldings, but I've been able to find much rarer things. Club memberships would be a good start.

Paul