Electrical questions for 26 Buick

Guest 97welter

Guest 97welter

Im trying to get my Standard 6 running. The ignition switch was stuck and I broke the housing trying to remove it. So I moved on and put a jumper wire from the starter to the coil. I have 6v to the starter and it turns. I have 6v into the coil and 6v out to the side of the distributor and 6v out to the center of the distributor cap. (Should this only be 6v?) The motor turns but I have no voltage coming out of the distributor cap to the spark plug wires. I cleaned all the electrical contacts and checked the gap for the points. Is my coil bad? The condenser? What can I do?

I can't see how you can possibly get 6 volts out of the centre of you distibutor. This should be spark voltage (around 18-20000 volts). There shoud be 6 volts at the one side of the coil but the other side of the coil that goes to the distributor should read zero if the points are closed. If you turn the engine over while monitoring this terminal, it should go up and down 0 volts-6volts-0 volts. If it's not check the points, make sure the base plate is grounded, the wire to the coil is not broken. Assuming all this is OK hold the high voltage wire from the coil centre about 1/4" away from the block and get someone to operate the starter. There should be a nice fat spark to the block at regular intervals. If not suspect the coil.

I hope this helps.

Art

One thing you might consider for trouble shooting is to stop by NAPA and get a coil and condenser for a 1953 Chevrolet (6 volt). I had a similar situation - no spark- last summer while I was out on the road. The NAPA store had these two items in stock and the cost was only around $20. Luckily my problem turned out to be the condenser not the coil. Now I carry the new coil and another new condenser in the car just in case.

If your car still has the original heat resister on the front of the coil, check to see that current is flowing through it. If it hasn't been thrown away it is a round deal about 1 1/2 in diameter that mounts between the coil terminal and the wire from the distributor.

Guest 97welter

Thanks for the info Bob. I did try another 6v coil from my 51 Chevy. How do I check the voltage from the center of the coil? I think I fried my multimeter, it doesnt work anymore. I will try the condenser next. The wire lead goes to the same point in the distributor and the cap will fit back on?

I can understand blowing your meter. The coil converts 6 volts to something like 40,000 to go to the distributor and fire the plugs. You need to test for spark by grounding a removed spark plug to the block and seeing if it sparks when you turn the engine over.

The condenser I am currently running is one that fits a 1953 Chevrolet. It will fit the bracket for your original condenser. About the only difference is it is a little shorter and has a wire instead of a strip of metal. I have been looking for an original type condenser but have not found one.

If your coil is bad the modern one obviously will not fit. You will need to rig up something to mount it to until until you find an original type coil.

Bob

When you cleaned the electrical connections, did you run a file between the points. Sometimes after sitting, they get a glaze or film on them and will not conduct the electircity.

A quick check for spark is to remove the distributor cap and with the ignition on, open the points. You should see the spark jump across the opening.

Guest 97welter

Thanks for all the info. I had no spark, it was the condenser. I used the one from my 51 Chevy and now I have spark. The car runs on starter fluid..........I havent touched the carb yet