Who makes/offers the best Dyna Flow Rebuild Kit?

buick man

Does anyone know who makes the best "hands - down " Kit in terms of quality, workmanship and most complete & comprehensive parts listed rebuild kit available? Or does one have to just cherry pick the components separately together to assure the best?

Other than Gasket Seal Kits, What about buying these old NOS Dyna Flow 'hard' transmission parts from these type sellers. I have heard a lot of this NOS stuff is really old shelf rejects. True/Not True?

Suppliers:

There are the ones on ebay. These guys tell me there are only very tiny network of suppliers for the hard parts and they make their own gaskets?

Then there is Alto Manufacturing where a few of the kit guys have told me they actually get their pump parts from.

Then there is Kanter, don't know if this outfit is now pacific rim junk or not as I have been told they too have now gotten sucked into the pacific rim black hole,

Then there is Fatsco Transmissions. They have been around for a long time. I have heard both sides of the story here as well.

Anyone care to comment. Even if we do not rebuild our own transmissions, making sure that all parts are top notch before you get it rebuilt, just manages the 'unknown' factor a little more in your favor.IMO It's bad enough trying to find someone to even claim they know how to rebuild these things, not alone wondering if the parts they are using are any good.

I know, you say, take it back if it does not work. Well I have found if you do your homework and manage the crap factor, chances are the outcome improves drastically so you don't have to on your projects.

Anyone care to comment?

Guest Jim_Edwards
Does anyone know who makes the best "hands - down " Kit in terms of quality, workmanship and most complete & comprehensive parts listed rebuild kit available? Or does one have to just cherry pick the components separately together to assure the best?

Other than Gasket Seal Kits, What about buying these old NOS Dyna Flow 'hard' transmission parts from these type sellers. I have heard a lot of this NOS stuff is really old shelf rejects. True/Not True?

Suppliers:

There are the ones on ebay. These guys tell me there are only very tiny network of suppliers for the hard parts and they make their own gaskets?

Then there is Alto Manufacturing where a few of the kit guys have told me they actually get their pump parts from.

Then there is Kanter, don't know if this outfit is now pacific rim junk or not as I have been told they too have now gotten sucked into the pacific rim black hole,

Then there is Fatsco Transmissions. They have been around for a long time. I have heard both sides of the story here as well.

Anyone care to comment. Even if we do not rebuild our own transmissions, making sure that all parts are top notch before you get it rebuilt, just manages the 'unknown' factor a little more in your favor.IMO It's bad enough trying to find someone to even claim they know how to rebuild these things, not alone wondering if the parts they are using are any good.

I know, you say, take it back if it does not work. Well I have found if you do your homework and manage the crap factor, chances are the outcome improves drastically so you don't have to on your projects.

Anyone care to comment?

Are you contemplating the attempting the rebuild yourself? Bad idea unless you have the tools specifically required for transmission repair and rebuild along a means of thoroughly cleaning the case and valve bodies once disassembled! It ain't exactly a shade tree job, and mistakes can be irreversible.

Rather than drive yourself nuts over kits and where the kit components may come from, I would advise you ask around with car restorers in your specific area who has the best independent transmission shop which has been in business for years and is willing to take in a 50 year old transmission. You'll likely get a one year warranty and believe me they know who supplies the best components or kits available as they really don't want to be dealing with warranty issues months later. Having a pro do the rebuild will be the best $1,000-$1,500 you'll spend.

Jim

I've gotten gaskets/hard parts from both FATSCO and Dave Edwards. Both seem fine and will talk and give advice over the phone. Dave's are a bit less expensive. The bands are exchange only with the new replacements having beefed up anchor points. Dynaflows are stone boat simple, easy to rebuild, parts are readily available, and the shop manual walks a person through it pretty well.

BTW, It's not necessary to totally remove the rear to drop the trans. Just loosen one end of the shocks and stab bar and pull it backwards about 3 inches or so.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Well yes, I am considering rebuilding it myself. True, I have never rebuilt a dynaflow before. I rebuilt my first engine when I was 12 and it was a 1957 Nailhead. Ran real good. My uncle was a machinist and my father a farmer in his early years and a good family friend owned a automatic transmission shop so I had good guidance and was exposed to machinery and engines at a very early age.

You are right, if I knew of a proven good rebuilder I would most likely give that route some serious considerations. I would still review what suppliers and parts he was planning on putting in since that is in my nature.

I want to first get a handle on the best suppliers and parts available cause knowing that information in invaluable regardless which route I go, and would be a help on this board for anyone else rebuilding theirs. So if anyone has anything to offer, it would appreciated!

Guest Jim_Edwards
Well yes, I am considering rebuilding it myself. True, I have never rebuilt a dynaflow before. I rebuilt my first engine when I was 12 and it was a 1957 Nailhead. Ran real good. My uncle was a machinist and my father a farmer in his early years and a good family friend owned a automatic transmission shop so I had good guidance and was exposed to machinery and engines at a very early age.

You are right, if I knew of a proven good rebuilder I would most likely give that route some serious considerations. I would still review what suppliers and parts he was planning on putting in since that is in my nature.

I want to first get a handle on the best suppliers and parts available cause knowing that information in invaluable regardless which route I go, and would be a help on this board for anyone else rebuilding theirs. So if anyone has anything to offer, it would appreciated!

I understand the urge to do it yourself. Been "doing it myself" most of the time since 1955, but if I don't have the proper tools or environment to do the job I have to give in and take it to those who do.

You might want to look at these guys they've been around since 1952 which in my book says they must have a half decent idea of what they are doing, otherwise they would have been gone a long time ago. They are also ATRA members which means a fairly good warranty that would be honored by many shops elsewhere.

Powell Hydramatic - Homepage

They should be within 10 to 15 miles from you.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Thanks Jim for the lead in San Franciso I will check them out. Thanks CW for your detailed and informed reply. I have the manuals and will look into getting Ron Session's Book as well. I knew there were miles of differences in part pieces but was unaware of the clutch binding material issues.

CW: Any other 'Mods' that you know about for the Dynaflow that you would care to share or are all of these mods found in Ron Session's Book?

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

I have had great luck with FATSCO parts.

Be sure to replace ALL clutches, ALL seals and gaskets, get relined bands etc.

Most problems with auto trans re-builds come from not doing a complete job.

Some guys do not like to replace all seals etc...

This is a big mistake in my opinion~

After all~ These units are old now and the old seals get hard, compressed and worn.

I have been doing my own autio trans work for 30 years !

If you know what you are doing , and take your time, you will have a great unit when finished & possibly save money.

AND you will know the job was done correctly !

Yes good points. Perhaps this forum can bring out some who can add and speak about the various approaches to rebuilding the dynaflow and what parts and techniques that are essential to a proper rebuild including some more ways on how to "tweek" the dynaflow for more power, reliability or responsiveness !

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

A lot of automatic transmission rebuilders in my area cut corners and do not install all the necessary parts contained in a seal & gasket kit. They only use some kit parts and save the other parts YOU have already paid for !

Some also re-use old clutchs, worn and glazed friction material etc.

Why they do this, and charge so much is beyond me? They charge for a complete rebuild and only do the bare minimum~

The price of all service parts is but a small fraction of the total rebuildin job cost~

Perhapps they just want to pinch pennies and save some of the kit parts for later jobs ?

Who Knows?~

Some seem to want to only fix the basic malfunction at hand~

They don't seem to want to do a proper complete re-build !

Some of the large well-known chain operations are some of the worst offenders in using this Half-repair method !

To me this sort of work is only doing a Half-Job !

If you do a complete proper re-build, with the complete kit contents needed in the transmission; it will last for a very long period of time indeed !

I also don't like shops that exchange your old transmission for a re-built unit !

Who knows what you are getting there.

There is one outfit in Philly that gets regular delivery from local junkyards.

All they do is clean the transmission cases and spray paint inside the bellhousing area.

They call this a "Rebuid"...

When it really is a USED transmission with unknown trouble and unkown history.

A frend & I saw this shop swap-out used units twice on a car before they got one that actually ran !

Perhapps that is why the junkyard got the car the transmission came from in the first place ?

Because of the age of the units we are working on here an exchange is really not an issue~

You MUST rebuild your old unt~

Find a single location transmission service shop that has been around a long time~

Not all shops know, or work-on the older units !

OR~

If you have the skills ~

Do the proper re-build yourself !

As for me~

I want MY unit repaired properly !

If you have good mechanical skills and buy ALL the quality parts you are sure to have great success yourself !

And you will know that no corners were cut, all complete necessary parts were replaced ; and you will also know what you have when you are finished !

GOOD LUCK !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)