28 Buick Wood spoke to Wire Conversion

Guest Dave@OldSchool

Guest Dave@OldSchool

Greetings from North Alabama.

I have a good set of wood spokes on my 28 Buick speedster ....... for hillclimbs and track, should I consider converting to wires ? and if so, what do I need to do this.

Sure will appreciate experienced advice.

Dave

You need 2 front wire wheels hubs and 2 rear wire wheel hubs,depending on what kind of wire wheels you use ,you maybe also need the drums.I coudn`t find wire wheels for 1928 in my parts book,maybe they vere options on Buick this year.On my 1924 4cyl.model I have 23" ASH Wire Wheels Detroit .

How about a picture of your speedster???????

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138351692_thumb.jpg

If you get the correct wheels (21" Buffalo Wire wheel #A5 also known as ASH wire wheel) you need also the set of hubs (2 rear should fit the same drive shaft - ar least on Master they do) and 2 front. Rear bearings are the same (ball bearings for Master), not sure about the front ones (cups and cones). You would also need set of 8 bronze nuts, 4 inners and 4 outers as shown on Leifs picture. Brake drums are also unique, but can be adapted from drums used for wood wheels (weld all the holes and machine new ones). This wheel (with risen hub, 48inner spokes and 24 outers) is in another thread, see http://forums.aaca.org/f165/wire-wheels-1925-master-292568.html.

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)