Gas cap on the left

Jim Rohn

Guest De Soto Frank
When I was 16 I used to work at my brothers Atlantic station. We always had problems filling 1960 & 61 Valiants. The filler was flat against the fender and the gas always shot out at you. I think every Valiant & Lancer had huge gas stains on the quarter panels.

Have the same problem with my '61 American and my '64 Valiant.... :(

Guest Skyking
On my drivers, ones on the left, ones on the right and you guessed it, I always pull up to the wrong side of the pump not thinking which car I am in.

My Dodge truck has an arrow near the gauge stating gas door (left) and my wife's Buick has a picture of a gas pump with the hose on the left.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

It sure would simplify pump traffic if all fillers were on the same side (I vote to put them all on the left). Then people would not be trying to approach the pumps from both directions at the same time. Got into a situation where a woman got smart and refused to let the man ahead of me leave the pump; wanted me to back up and let him back out so she could pull in. We sat her out, then when he left I walked behind him and blocked her while my wife pulled my vehicle up to the pump. She just did not understand the policy of first come, first served. I could describe her better but will not do it here.

I like the German idea, but my Porsche 911 is on the left side and my VW is on the right...

Well that said my 1928 Graham-Paige 610 is on the left and my 1929 Graham-Paige 827 is on the right. So apparently this is not a new discussion?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 64 & 65 VW's are on the left inside the boot.

Don

John2dameron 's story reminds me. I had a Taurus wagon with the filler on the right. I drove in where I normally get gas and all of the pumps were taken by cars coming in the other way with their filler on the left. The right side of the island was empty, so I drove through and turned around to drive in so that I could fill on the right. By the time I turned around, another car with the filler on the left drove in and blocked me from where I intended to go. While I was sitting there stewing, another island became available but of course, it was on the opposite side. So I drove through, turned around and by the time I could head in, a car with the filler on the left came in on the other side and blocked me from going through there. I gave up and went home.